muzzleloader question?
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: muzzleloader question? Author: redhed PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:46 pm
    ----
first off this being my first post here, hello to all, the site looks good Very Happy . now hopefully i can reach out with a question and get some help. i have recently come across a muzzleloader and even with researching it i can not figure the make of it. i was told it was a cva but i can't find it listed with cva. so here it is, it is a 50 cal with the inscriptions saying "buck country arms" it is not an inline and the breach plug and nipple are one complete peice. any info would be greatly appreciated fellas, thanks. Very Happy

#2: Re: muzzleloader question? Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:27 pm
    ----
Are there any other markings on the gun such as place of manufacture ? I have never seen a muzzleloader with a nipple and breech plug as one unit,thats rather odd but I imagine you realize that! Sorry I cant give you any information.

#3: Re: muzzleloader question? Author: SpacedoneLocation: missouri PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:56 pm
    ----
its probaly made in spain

it will be marked on the barrel someplace.

#4: Re: muzzleloader question? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:31 pm
    ----
Welcome to the site redhed.

Try removing the barrel and looking under it ... I've seen a couple rifles with stamps that arent visible unless the barrel is removed... wierd I know.

-DallanC

#5: Re: muzzleloader question? Author: kbisLocation: East, Texas PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:14 am
    ----
Sorry, I can't help, but welcome to the forum.

#6: Re: muzzleloader question? Author: redhed PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:15 am
    ----
well, thanks everyone for the response, and dallanc you were right i checked under the barrel and it has the stamp "boyd" unfurtinately i've researched "boyd muzzleloaders" and have come up empty handed. has anyone heard of this before. i really want to get this fixed maybe for a backup until my little one gets old enough to hunt. thanks again fellas.

#7: Re: muzzleloader question? Author: SpacedoneLocation: missouri PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:34 am
    ----
boyd is the dealer and not the manufacturer.

if its CVA its either made in spain or italy and the odds are spain.

if its not already drilled and tapped for a scope be aware both italy and spain barrels are soft steel and are hard to tap

#8: Re: muzzleloader question? Author: redhed PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:23 am
    ----
Spacedone wrote:
boyd is the dealer and not the manufacturer.

if its CVA its either made in spain or italy and the odds are spain.

if its not already drilled and tapped for a scope be aware both italy and spain barrels are soft steel and are hard to tap
well, thanks for the info any idea on what i should do for replacing parts. like the odd breachplug.

#9: Re: muzzleloader question? Author: SpacedoneLocation: missouri PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:28 am
    ----
dixie gun works is the best place to order BP parts. they have a huge selection of parts and are very friendly and helpful and not to bad on pricing.

you will probaly need to find a breechplug with the proper threads and file the surrounding metal down to fit.

there huge catalog is 5 dollars and they give you a 5 dollar coupon with it so it ends up being free.

#10: Re: muzzleloader question? Author: redhed PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:33 am
    ----
thank you very much Smile

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions