Protection from a wounded bear.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#31: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:36 pm
    ----
SingleShotLover wrote:
What ever you decide, go into it with a plan. Remember that even the most potent .44 Magnum load is inferior to a good .30-30 load in energy figures (even though I don't believe that energy figures tell the whole story). A good stout .44 Mag or .45 Colt load can be good insurance if loaded with heavy cast bullets, but I would opt for a Marlin 1895 .45-70 with 405-grain bullets at top velocity for any close and personal debates with a wounded bear. As Bushy points out, a lever gun is fast to operate as well as reliable. As to the .454, it's not a bad round but you mentioned shooting .45 Colt rounds in it. Every manufacturer that I know of specifically states that shooting .45 Colt loads in the .454 voids the warranty.
I have an Idea......................get a magnum research bfr in 45-70..........................a wheel gun in 45-70.......who needs a rifle?..............

#32: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: tlo7mmLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:11 pm
    ----
Not that its a big deal but Ruger specifically promotes duel chambering for a 454. As far as other manufacturers I am not sure exactly.

#33: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:42 am
    ----
Suzanne wrote:

You can carry a .22 and shoot your hunting partner in the leg for bear bait, that way you can run faster....just a thought.

Suz

You are an evil women, practical, pragmatic, funny, but downright evil.
Remind me NOT to go bear shooting with you.
However a beer around the campfire would be nice.

#34: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:37 am
    ----
tlo7mm wrote:
Not that its a big deal but Ruger specifically promotes duel chambering for a 454. As far as other manufacturers I am not sure exactly.

I stand corrected! Embarassed Originally Ruger, Freedom Arms and Taurus all were firmly opposed to this practice stating that the likelihood of chamber erosion from the shorter cased .45 Colt could cause serious problems when firing the .454 loads. Maybe a closer look made them change their minds.

#35: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:34 am
    ----
Not sure about that SingleShotLover. I had a friend in the USSR of C that shot competition revolver. His favorite was a S&W Mod 19 4". His ammunition of choice for competition was .38 Special. Shot thousands of rounds. One day he cleaned it and went to a range and shot one cylinder of .357 factory magnums and spent the next hour pounding the cases out. It seems that the .357 magnum cases expanded into the crimp ring groove made by the .38 Specials. Rare maybe, but......

#36: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:08 am
    ----
Had the same thing happen to me when shooting 38/spl out of my 357 revolver, it leaves a carbon ring around the cylinder then if you don't clean out that ring when you fire 357, you have to pound them out.

No longer do I shoot 38 in 357 because of this problem, same goes for shooting 44 specials in my 44mag SRH. I just reduce the loads as needed.

#37: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:24 am
    ----
Omini...This wasn't a carbon ring. This was a shinny ring worn into the cylinder wall by the .38 special crimp opening when fired.

#38: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:41 am
    ----
Well it happens to me too, when I fire 357 mag. out of my 17HMR. I think it's the bottle neck area where I have to really force the 357 cases into the chamber. I haven't found any way to get the projectiles out either. I have to admit the hammer I used wasn't a ball-peen but brass is soft anyway. Tryin to get one to rim-fire can be a chore sometimes. Well ok....I"ve only tried it once....the patch over my eye makes it hard to use the hammer and now I'm left handed so that makes for some difficult co-ordination. Before I lost my hand and my eye and got the plastic nose and ear and chin implant it was pretty fun to experiment.

SUV
Suz

#39: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:49 am
    ----
And we need to refer to the other thread dealing with "hand baskets"...

#40: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:18 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Omini...This wasn't a carbon ring. This was a shinny ring worn into the cylinder wall by the .38 special crimp opening when fired.

Dang, I only shot maybe less than a hundred before cleaning it, your buddy must have shot quite a few in his to wear a ring into the cylinder wall as mine were just carbon crud.

Suz: are we trying to be humorous? Laughing

#41: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:42 am
    ----
Like I said...He shot comp revolver. A lot of .38 Specials doin'that.

#42: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:07 am
    ----
Suzanne wrote:
Well it happens to me too, when I fire 357 mag. out of my 17HMR. I think it's the bottle neck area where I have to really force the 357 cases into the chamber. I haven't found any way to get the projectiles out either. I have to admit the hammer I used wasn't a ball-peen but brass is soft anyway. Tryin to get one to rim-fire can be a chore sometimes. Well ok....I"ve only tried it once....the patch over my eye makes it hard to use the hammer and now I'm left handed so that makes for some difficult co-ordination. Before I lost my hand and my eye and got the plastic nose and ear and chin implant it was pretty fun to experiment.

NoMoSeeinInStereoSuz

wtf

Fixed it fer ya... Very Happy

#43: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: ROADJOCKYLocation: SOUTHERN-OHIO PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:53 pm
    ----
I think we need to change Suz name to kelvenator,she is such an agitator Very Happy

#44: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:01 pm
    ----
ROADJOCKY wrote:
I think we need to change Suz name to kelvenator,she is such an agitator Very Happy

Careful RJ, Suz may get the "Stout Switches" after Yah!.. Laughing

#45: Re: Protection from a wounded bear. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:54 pm
    ----
Its not Suzs fault its all because her daddy was a teaspoon.

-> Big Game Hunting