Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive"
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#46: Re: Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive" Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:42 pm
    ----
Some follow-up. I forgot to mention that I shot slugs through the Mossberg and got achieved a 3-shot cloverleaf off-hand at 25 yards. I was suitably impressed with this level of accuracy using foster slugs in a smooth bore. Also, a buddy I'm shooting 3-gun with did the La Rue match down in Austin this weekend. He borrowed a Benelli SA instead of using his pump. He ended up getting mixed up with a loading sequence because it wouldn't cycle a round out of the tube magazine. He ended up not completing the stage. This emphases the importance of always have a round cycle out of the magazine when you cycle the bolt in a tactical situation.

#47: Re: Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive" Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:51 am
    ----
slimjim wrote:
Not sure it is a feature I'd be interested in. I don't like bolts moving unless I release them.

Look at it this way........it's the bolt release, just not the traditional button performing the function !!!

I see this set up as an advantage in tactical shooting.

#48: Re: Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive" Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:57 am
    ----
slimjim wrote:
I was suitably impressed with this level of accuracy using foster slugs in a smooth bore.

Too many people under estimate the potential of a smooth bore with a slug !!!

#49: Re: Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive" Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:22 pm
    ----
chambered221 wrote:
Too many people under estimate the potential of a smooth bore with a slug !!!

You still have to search for the right barrel-ammo combination. The shoulder just takes a beating while you are doing the accuracy evaluation.

#50: Re: Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive" Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:08 am
    ----
slimjim wrote:

Returned the Benelli and Beretta, cleaned, with a loaf of bananna nut bread. It was a great experience.....

Wow- I'll say. Cleanin' a shotty with a loaf of banana bread really would be some kinda experience. Might be a lil messy but the gun would smell good, and, you could eat the patches! I'm all over it! Razz

#51: Re: Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive" Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:31 pm
    ----
Yes, my high school English teacher would be so proud of me for using punctuation correctly! Look how important that comma was! It changes the entire meaning, one that you missed stovey!

#52: Re: Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive" Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:51 am
    ----
Something else got missed....the punchline! Shocked

Razz

#53: Re: Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive" Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:09 am
    ----
stovepipe wrote:
Something else got missed....the punchline!

take the comma out and your interpretation is correct. Otherwise

Poke Poke Poke Poke Poke Poke Poke Poke

couldn't find a punch line but did find a poke line.

#54: Re: Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive" Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:38 pm
    ----
I still gots one good arm...don make me fly out ta Tay-has. Mad

At least you get to shoot. Yuor suggestion to switch-hit was well recieved last night...till I pulled Kabong from the safe fer some dry firing and remembered it aint an ambi stock.

Shocked

Mad

Time to make an adjustable cheekpiece. Another project. Joy. Laughing

#55: Re: Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive" Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:57 pm
    ----
Slim old bean check out ATI advanced technoligies industries they make a good range of tacticle accesories for the mossbergs. the prices over here arent out of reach either.

#56: Re: Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive" Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:07 pm
    ----
Elvis wrote:
check out ATI advanced technologies industries they make a good range of tactical accessories for the mossbergs

Thanks for the tip, Elvis. I don't think I want to add much to my Mossberg pump. I'm just going to shoot it in these tactical matches to learn. If I really like this type of shotgun match, then maybe I'll step up to a 12ga. I expect it will be a semi-auto.

#57: IF, yer goin' ta 12ga.....??? Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:45 pm
    ----
Getta new Defender! Very Happy

Ok, Ok, sorry...I'll stop. Sad

#58: Re: Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive" Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:00 pm
    ----
Well the results of the tactical shoot gun match are in. The good news is I didn't come in last (14 shooters). It was an interesting experience. The biggest challenge was reloading (need to practice that). There were 4 stages taking 20 to 30 rounds, a few of which were slugs. There was plenty of action with reactive steel, clay, and paper targets. I was the only one with a 20ga. I didn't feel like I was disadvantaged as the targets all fell in a similar manner to the 12ga birdshot. The semi-autos dominated the timing. Several with tube extensions were malfunctioning - the mag plungers would hang-up on the joint and stop feeding shells. The FNs (Winchester SX3s) ruled. I need to improve my reloading skills before I need to worry about a faster action.

The least fun part of the event was cleaning all the lead out of the barrel. Based on that, I don't think I will worry about cleaning powder residue from a gas operated semi-auto.

#59: Re: Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive" Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:47 am
    ----
I reviewed the match results again this morning to make sure I hadn't missed any lessons to be learned. Caught 3 things. The stage I did the worst on had the most reloading. I may have loaded more than others because I had no targets missed (low points down). And last, a cowboy action shooter with a Win 97 pump came in second overall. I know is action is well honed as my pump is still getting worked in - shot more rounds through it this weekend than the rest of the time I had it. However, the cowboy action shooter was loading single shot through the ejector port. He beat all the semi-autos but one. I also think he was shooting reduced loads because my 20ga was getting more reaction with the targets than his 12ga. Still, running single shot he was only 7 seconds slower, 193 vs 200. Lots more to learn.

#60: Re: Semi-Auto Shotgun "Test Drive" Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:53 pm
    ----
While practicing this weekend for the 3-gun next week, my shooting partner loaded his 12ga FN (Win SX3) with some 2 3/4" high-brass #6 shot for some close in drills. He is 250 pounds but started complaining that his SA kicked so much more then with the high-brass then the low-brass that wasn't fun any more. LOL Laughing

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions