Win. Mod 70,
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Win. Mod 70, Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:09 am
    ----
Anyone have or know much about the Winchester mod 70, Coyote Light .243 cal.? I have the opportunity to buy one for $500. been shot 20 times, had the trigger worked on, ( by Dick Williams and the Bolt lapped) no scope, but the Leupold rings and base come with it, plus 100 rds of ammo.. good bad??

#2: Re: Win. Mod 70, Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:42 am
    ----
Looks like a beautiful rifle. I'm not a fan of Leupold bases. The windage screws in the back take extra time to align and its not likely that you can remove and replace the scope without having to perform another sight-in process. Plus, they can fail and break leaving you SOL (my experience and that of others)

#3: Re: Win. Mod 70, Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:50 am
    ----
I've never used Leupold rings or bases, I would probably change them as I like a one piece base and use weaver style Burris sig. series rings.. just wondering on the price...seen these online for $900. and up new..

#4: Re: Win. Mod 70, Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:26 am
    ----
sounds like a very good price to me. He who hesitates is lost! Don't let someone else scoup it up if you want it.

#5: Re: Win. Mod 70, Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:28 am
    ----
wtf Never pass an opportunity to bash Leupold I guess !!!

I suggest if at all possible shoot the rifle first with some factory ammo and make your decision based upon the outcome.
If it's around a MOA at 100 it's well worth the 500.

IMO Model 70's have a tendency (not bashing them, I like them) to shoot their best after some work and sometimes with a better barrel than they use from the factory.

#6: Re: Win. Mod 70, Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:28 am
    ----
Oh, it has a 1:10 twist so it will shoot the heavier bullets.

#7: Re: Win. Mod 70, Author: minerfileLocation: St. Johns, AZ PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:30 am
    ----
I have one in 22-250 and after cleaning up the trigger it is a fantastic varmint rifle. For $500 I would jump all over it.

#8: Re: Win. Mod 70, Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:32 am
    ----
chambered221 wrote:
Never pass an opportunity to bash Leupold I guess !!!

chambered, I knew you would be watching so I made sure what I said was factual and not bashing.

#9: Re: Win. Mod 70, Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:06 am
    ----
Yup, your right Slim, Leupold makes nothing but junk.........now let Glockman get back to trying to figure out what he's gonna do about this Model 70 he found !!!

#10: Re: Win. Mod 70, Author: ROADJOCKYLocation: SOUTHERN-OHIO PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:58 am
    ----
chambered221 wrote:
Yup, your right Slim, Leupold makes nothing but junk.........now let Glockman get back to trying to figure out what he's gonna do about this Model 70 he found !!!
Chambered,my hunting buddy would have a heart attack if he heard you say that about Leupold LOL What scopes do you perfer? I have always felt that we spend a lot of money on name only,just my thoughts.

#11: Re: Win. Mod 70, Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:44 pm
    ----
chambered221 wrote:
:wtf: Never pass an opportunity to
PHP:
bash Leupold 
I guess !!!

I suggest if at all possible shoot the rifle first with some factory ammo and make your decision based upon the outcome.
If it's around a MOA at 100 it's well worth the 500.

IMO Model 70's have a tendency (not bashing them, I like them) to shoot their best after some work and sometimes with a better barrel than they use from the factory.

By no means am I bashing Leupold, I love their scopes. just can't see the high cost for their rings.. I never heard that about the mod. 70 before, The guy that has it ( of course) says he had it shooting 3/4" groups @ 100 yds..after only shooting 20 rds.. I don't know about that, like you said I like to shoot it my self..He is going to collage and is selling some of his guns..

#12: Re: Win. Mod 70, Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:50 pm
    ----
plurry great rifles. $500 sounds good my old lightwieght has not given me any bother I rebeded with araldite and readjusted the trigger(easy peasy) it shoots better than me and is not fussy.

#13: Re: Win. Mod 70, Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:04 am
    ----
Glockman55, This sounds like a very good deal. I have a model 70 that I bought in '05. I had the trigger adjusted, and bedded it, and it will shoot 1" to 1 1/2" groups with just about any ammo I use. It has worked well for me. Good Luck.

#14: Re: Win. Mod 70, Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:41 am
    ----
Thanks for all the replies...now I just gotta come up with the cash.. Embarassed

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions