BRRrrrrr
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  :| |:
-> General

#61: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: TremblayLocation: Malta, Montana PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:42 am
    ----
Your in our prayers

#62: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:50 am
    ----
A loss of power is a major thing these days...refrigerators, freezers, TVs, computers, electric stoves, XBox, DVD player, stereo.

I am actually seriously considering taking a few steps back in time and seeing if I can acquire an old kerosene fridge (my folks had one for some years). This would allow me to at least keep essentials cold in a blackout. Lights are not an issue, have kerosene and LPG lamps so I'm all good in that area. Oh yeah...and I got me PIG. Nothing better than sitting around a fire and chatting whilst a steak or two is gently sizzling away on the hotplate. You don't even need lights.

Apart from that, we will just have to learn how to communicate face to face again.

Cheers, Vince

#63: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:00 am
    ----
They are calling it the "Beast". Could be the biggest winter storm in Chicago's history!! Be Safe!!

Oh, its going to be a sunny 70 F in SoCal today.

#64: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:05 am
    ----
Damn...that sounds downright nasty Slim. Because I don't get snow here, it is difficult for me to really comprehend the magnitude of a big snow storm...although the pictures from Russia went a long way towards understanding.

As Slim said guys...BE SAFE and protect yourselves and your families. Cold can be an insidious killer that sneaks up when you aren't looking.

Cheers, Vince

#65: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:20 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
Damn...that sounds downright nasty Slim. Because I don't get snow here, it is difficult for me to really comprehend the magnitude of a big snow storm...although the pictures from Russia went a long way towards understanding.

As Slim said guys...BE SAFE and protect yourselves and your families. Cold can be an insidious killer that sneaks up when you aren't looking.

Cheers, Vince

This may give you some idea. We pushed the snowbank back to make room for the expected two additional feet or more from the storm that has now started. It is expected to continue here unti mid-day Thursday. That is a large tractor in the photo.
The other two photos are the front-loader we use to plow the driveway. Shown next to it is my neighbor's Lab and a "pebble" the tractor dug out of the back yard. That little Ford tractor has some Moxie!!!

Beer today, plowing tomorrow (and Thursday).

#66: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:00 am
    ----
OK, Marty. You life in a log cabin!?! You really are a "backwoods boy" for the Northeast.

#67: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:26 pm
    ----
Nah, that's my neighbor's cabin. Mine is a trailer farther back from the road. His cabin is only 150 yards from the road - too close to civilization (haha). I do spend much of my time at the cabin. My neighbor, Chris, drives a tractor/trailer during the week. He's home Sat night and Sun, most weeks. I hold down the fort the rest of the time.
The property is on the edge of the forests here. A mile to the west are the first few farms and then some towns. To the east, miles and miles of wildlife management (hunting) areas and state forests. WMA's to the north and south as well.
You can't see the 50 yd target stand, but it is at the right-hand side of the fence - behind the Ford tractor, 60 yards from my deck. My trailer is 50 yards directly behind where the photo was shot from.

#68: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:18 pm
    ----
Sounds and looks like a beautiful area, Marty. I enjoy seeing your trail camera pictures, too.

#69: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:12 pm
    ----
Good grief, we got walloped, 19" snow and 6' to 7' drifts. Didn't even make it to work cause the snow is half way up the vehicles. State patrol shut down all the main highways, dot pulled all the plows off the road until this afternoon. Roads are finally get plowed as well as my driveway being plowed shut Mad Will post pictures tomorrow, here's a forecast I like.

#70: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:55 pm
    ----
Nice one, OV1!

#71: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 pm
    ----
Awesome OV1

#72: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:25 am
    ----
Not bad OV1 - Here's the one I found in my e-mail at the start of this storm:

And I think I posted this photo before. Just sayin' it could be worse:

#73: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:30 am
    ----
Honey!! I think it may have snowed last night!! It's pretty dark out tho...

Suz

#74: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:01 am
    ----
That is one strong roof (or some good photoshop'in)

#75: Re: BRRrrrrr Author: TremblayLocation: Malta, Montana PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:11 am
    ----
It has to be a bird house.

-> General