I went coyote hunting but came back with this!
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: I went coyote hunting but came back with this! Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:27 am
    ----
I had been having a problem with some coyotes not responding to my calls and hanging up about 450 yards in a waterway. While I can put the bullet on the fur from that range the 55 grain .223 would not deliver a clean kill so I grabbed the 30-06 with 110 V-max load and went out to snipe the educated crew.

Instead of the coyotes, I had this pretty guy bark at me from 250 yards...

My first Fox!

#2: Re: I went coyote hunting but came back with this! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:08 am
    ----
Dawgdad, nice hunt! Do you use the pelts?

#3: Re: I went coyote hunting but came back with this! Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:51 pm
    ----
Dawgdad, I've been thinking of trying the 110gr V-max, you have just answered my question. Good hunting btw as we have lots of foxes and yotes here in ia.

#4: Re: I went coyote hunting but came back with this! Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:15 pm
    ----
A nice red. With our coyote population in decline, we are now having Red Fox move into our area. Been seeing quite a few lately. That 06 must have done a real number on this guy. Very Happy

#5: Re: I went coyote hunting but came back with this! Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:15 pm
    ----
Nice little fella. How much damage was there?

#6: Re: I went coyote hunting but came back with this! Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:42 pm
    ----
I'm betting there isn't as much damage as everyone's thinking !!!

#7: Re: I went coyote hunting but came back with this! Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:57 pm
    ----
That's what I'm thinking to. I haven't decided on a varmint gun yet so I'm still stuck with my deer calibers. But haven't gotten a shot yet.

#8: Re: I went coyote hunting but came back with this! Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:40 pm
    ----
The 110 V-max was way more than enough for this fox but the exit wound is sewable. I will tan this hide and make a wall hannging out of it. the damage was limited to a horizontal tear about 3" long. no lungs or heart inside the rib cage and two ribs misssing on the off side.

I use a Maximum load of IMR 4064 and get about 3400 fps from the 110 V-max in my Winchester Model 70.

#9: Re: I went coyote hunting but came back with this! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:14 pm
    ----
Well done DD...that is a nice looking fox mate...should tan up beautifully.

Have fun skinning him...they stink to high heaven. Very Happy Very Happy Laughing

Cheers, Vince

-> Varmint Hunting