Tikka T3 Questions
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Tikka T3 Questions Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:15 pm
    ----
Found a used 7-08 I'm thinking about buying !!!

The owner of the gun is dissatisfied with the way the bolt locks. He says any little movement of the bolt and the gun will not fire. It cost him a big buck last year. What do those of you that own these guns have to say on the issue !!!

How long have these guns (T3)been around in the U.S. ? I've only became familiar with them in the last few years. I have no knowledge as to their history only that Tikka has been around for a long time and are known for quality.

#2: Re: Tikka T3 Questions Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:38 pm
    ----
Mrs Roklok has one in 30-06, it has been a great rifle, she shot her first moose with it this year. No issues with hers, nor have I heard of any issues such as you describe. The bolt locks when safety is on, so I am not sure how it would move out of position.

#3: Re: Tikka T3 Questions Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:55 pm
    ----
That's what I was thinking !!! He didn't have it with him so I haven't handled it.

#4: Re: Tikka T3 Questions Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:01 pm
    ----
sounds like a cheap deal to get a good rifle to me. Im sure the fix will be dirt cheap too.my nephew got a ren mod seven 7mm08 that wouldnt shoot Sad real cheap. Very Happy he tightened up ALL the screws on her as they were ALL loose and it shoots like a dream now. Very Happy
as for tikkas I( think)they are sakos with a different brand name or something very much along those lines. Im sure someone will will put me right No No! if they arent.

#5: Re: Tikka T3 Questions Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:29 pm
    ----
Got a Model 7 in a 7-08......yea they're good shooters !!!

I'm thinking there's nothing to really fix other than keeping your hands away from the bolt. Shocked

#6: Re: Tikka T3 Questions Author: tcknightLocation: Arkansas PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:40 pm
    ----
chambered221 wrote:
I'm thinking there's nothing to really fix other than keeping your hands away from the bolt. Shocked

I have to agree with that. It HAS to be a cheap fix. Could be something as simple as the bolt slot in the stock is not deep enough or something similar. Of course, when talking to him, ya gotta let him know what a HUGE chance you're taking in buying that rifle! Guitarist

But then you may want to see an excerpt from Chuck Hawks:

"Then there is the Tikka 1" 100-yard test. I have yet to see, or even read about, a T3 hunting rifle that will consistently meet Tikka's 3-shots into 1" at 100 yards accuracy claim.

Now, unlike many gun writers today, I try not to over emphasize the importance of accuracy in big game hunting rifles. Big game animals are large and hair-splitting accuracy is almost never required. A rifle that will shoot into 2" at 100 yards (2 MOA) is accurate enough for most purposes. A hunting rifle that will average 1.5 MOA groups is a good one, and most T3 rifles fall into that category.

But the Beretta/Sako/Tikka conglomerate heavily advertises their accuracy guarantee. They market their rifles on that basis. And, in my experience, most Tikka T3 rifles simply will not consistently meet their own accuracy guarantee. If a average T3 will shoot an occasional 1" group with any load it is doing well. (Want a real MOA hunting rifle? Read our review of the Weatherby Vanguard SUB-MOA on the Product Review Page.) Why do none of my fellow gun writers in the popular press call Beretta on its misleading advertising?"

Last edited by tcknight on Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: Tikka T3 Questions Author: tcknightLocation: Arkansas PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:46 pm
    ----
You can read the rest here:

www.chuckhawks.com/cri...ook_T3.htm

#8: Re: Tikka T3 Questions Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:54 pm
    ----
As a blued steel and walnut kind of guy for the most part, I was not too sure about the T3 Lite when my wife picked it out. It does have a lot of plastic parts, which reduces weight, and cost of manufacturing. But, it has been accurate, the trigger is AWESOME, and the bolt is as smooth cycling as they get, or at least as I have ever experienced.

#9: Re: Tikka T3 Questions Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:10 pm
    ----
Bolt smoothness and trigger is what sold me. I couldn't find another rifle out there that felt that good, not even the new Sako A-7. The plasitc parts, well they don't bother me nor have they given me any trouble. If it allows Sako to manufacture a rifle this good and this light for an affordable price, I'm all for it. That's what I told Chuck Hawk after I read his article. He wrote back and told me he wasn't picking on Tikka, just used them as an example how manufactures are using cheap plastic parts and gun writers don't speak up about it. As for accuracy, my Tikka shoots 1/2 MOA out to 500 yards with my hand loads and 3/4 MOA with quality factor ammo. Accuracy like this is what I've heard from every other Tikka owner. I do shoot 2 rounds then let the barrel cool except for my 150gr Berger VLDs. They shoot under an MOA hot or cold.

#10: Re: Tikka T3 Questions Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:11 pm
    ----
Oh, took my new shooting buddy out to look for a .223 varmint rifle. He came home with a Tikka for the same reasons.

#11: Re: Tikka T3 Questions Author: tikkat3 PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:09 am
    ----
I'm with you Slimjim,
"The best bolt action rifle ever produced" bar none.
I might be a bit biased .

#12: Re: Tikka T3 Questions Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:18 pm
    ----
I just got the wife's T3 out and fiddled with it a bit. The bolt locks shut when the safety is on, however you can lift the handle a bit, about 3/8", even when bolt is locked shut. If the bolt handle is lifted to this position, the safety is then disengaged, and the trigger pulled, the bolt handle snaps shut when striker falls. It is possible that this would cause a misfire.

Most bolt actions are subject to possible misfires if the bolt is not shut completely, as the striker must first finish closing the bolt before striking primer. Years ago, I shot a bear with my model 700 Remington. The bear ran right towards me, and in my rush to get another bullet into bear, I did not close the bolt completely. The rifle misfired. I chambered another round and finished the bear. The misfired round showed just a slight dimple on the primer, as most of the striker energy was used up closing bolt.

The Tikka T3 has a round hole in the bottom of bolt body that a round "peg" engages when safety is on. I suppose that one could build up the side of that hole with epoxy to minimize bolt movement when on safe. The "peg" itself has a bit of wiggle as well in the receiver, which would also contribute to bolt movement. I guess if tolerances were too tight, it might impede safety operation.

#13: Re: Tikka T3 Questions Author: tcknightLocation: Arkansas PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
    ----
I wasn't downing Tikka guys. Just giving chambered some other info he may have missed. I have never touched a Tikka. Actually, I don't recall ever SEEING a Tikka so can't produce any opinion. From what you guys are saying, they sound pretty cool for da money. Very Happy

#14: Re: Tikka T3 Questions Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:18 pm
    ----
tcknight wrote:
they sound pretty cool for da money.

Agreed, to get a rifle of that capability is a bargin in two ways, what you get for your money and not having to spend a lot for it.

#15: Re: Tikka T3 Questions Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:20 pm
    ----
tikkat3 wrote:
I'm with you Slimjim,
"The best bolt action rifle ever produced" bar none.
I might be a bit biased .

Laughing Laughing ROFL Laughing

Cheers, Vince

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions