N.Y. Bow Hunting opening weekend
-> Primitive Weapons Hunting

#1: N.Y. Bow Hunting opening weekend Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:02 pm
    ----
Bow hunting opened in the southern zone of New York on Saturday. I took off a little early from work on Friday and headed up to our hunting cabin. My hunting buddies were already there, and called to let me know that it had been raining for three days, but the forecast called for clearing Friday night and no bad weather for the next three days. We headed out to our stands Saturday morning, and it was dry, but the wind was gusting to 40 mph! Not ideal hunting weather, but I saw 4 Does, and 1 little spike buck. I had a shot at two of the Does, but I figured I saw 5 deer on a really windy day, no rush to fill a tag, I have until Monday night, There will be plenty of other opportunities. I should know better by now. I saw 1 deer that evening, and it was too far for a shot. Sunday morning, I saw a little 4 pointer, but I didn't have a clear shot. He kept a lot of brush between us. Sunday afternoon... Zip... not a thing. Monday morning, the same...nothing. Normally we hunt the morning and leave around noon. I had Tuesday off, so I decided to stick it out, and leave after dinner. Everyone left at lunchtime and we made plans to be back in two weeks. I stayed, thinking I must be nuts. I have a 200 mile drive home, and I'm not going to see anything, but there is always a chance....
He came out just before dark. I was packing my gear to leave. He was about 30 yards out, quartering to me. The perfect end to a not so perfect trip.

#2: Re: N.Y. Bow Hunting opening weekend Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:44 pm
    ----
Congrats Very Happy Nice deer.. Back Straps tonight Very Happy

#3: Re: N.Y. Bow Hunting opening weekend Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:43 pm
    ----
Good shooting cbs!! Congrats on a successful hunt!

#4: Re: N.Y. Bow Hunting opening weekend Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:55 pm
    ----
Great job! Sticking around pays off sometimes...

#5: Re: N.Y. Bow Hunting opening weekend Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:04 pm
    ----
Nice one fer sher!! Ok I'm next!! I'm still lookin, maybe this weekend..

Suz

#6: Re: N.Y. Bow Hunting opening weekend Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:27 pm
    ----
Well done CB...a very nice looking young fella.

As Joe said...back straps for tea, and tenderloins and rump steaks and..... Laughing

Cheers, Vince

#7: Re: N.Y. Bow Hunting opening weekend Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:29 am
    ----
Thank You all,
We had back straps last night, and they were GOOD! Cooked with a little Bacon, and onions. I Hope everyone has a sucessful season. I still 2 more tags, 1 for bow 1 for rifle, so there's still plenty of season left.

-> Primitive Weapons Hunting