Was in the Catskills this past weekend.
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Spam-O-Rama

#1: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:53 am
    ----
I was there to help my brother-in-law with the new place he's building, and to look at a piece of property near by for myself. The weather was perfect! 75 during the day, 50 at night, and the leaves are just starting to change color. Check out the view from his new "hunting camp". Bow hunting starts Oct.16th I can hardly wait!

#2: Re: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:21 am
    ----
CB: that's an awfully big place. Does he needs a roomie? I think he needs a roomie.

Oustanding shots bud. Them hills is gonna pop with collor right quick.

#3: Re: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:35 pm
    ----
You're right, there's plenty of room for a roomie to roam. And in another week or two the hills will be BEAUTIFUL!

#4: Re: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:15 pm
    ----
The Catskills! They are beautiful!! Brings back fond memories of my younger days. Thanks for posting. Let us know how you hunting season goes CBS.

#5: Re: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:14 am
    ----
What an awesome looking valley...love it, and I bet it will look even better when the leaves change.

Is that his "hunting cabin"? If so, it is damn near as big as my house !!! Laughing Move over Stovey....I's a'comin' too mate.

Cheers, Vince

#6: Re: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:47 am
    ----
My Brother-in-law lives on Long Island, a couple miles from me. This will be used year 'round on weekends, and holidays, but during Deer hunting season, it's a hunting cabin. I'll try to post pics during the construction, so you guys can pick which room you want. Very Happy

#7: Re: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:50 pm
    ----
What construction method is that?

Doesn't look like anything I've seen before.

#8: Re: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:01 pm
    ----
It looks to me like a cast in place concrete using styrofoam forms.
If it is, after the outside sealer is put on it is warm and water-proof.

#9: Re: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:43 am
    ----
PaulS wrote:
It looks to me like a cast in place concrete using styrofoam forms.
If it is, after the outside sealer is put on it is warm and water-proof.
PaulS, That's exactly what it is. They're styrofoam forms that are approx. 2' high and lock together. You use a little spray foam in corners, or where you cut the forms. I've been in construction 30 years, and it's the first time I used this system. So far, I think it's great. Easy to work with, Light, and the end result gives you an "R" factor of about 60 with an 8" concrete foundation wall.

#10: Re: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:00 am
    ----
styrofoam = polystyrene?
aren't you afraid of Mickey Mouse's family or even the smoke when a fire should start?
(not to mention when someone put his or her Jeep wrongly in reverse instead of 1st gear and you are asleep, not expecting a Jeepvisit...)

#11: Re: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:17 am
    ----
Aloysius,
You bring up some very good points, and we did consider most of them before choosing this over the traditional concrete forms. This system is not meant to be left exposed, and inside the walls of the forms are blocks that you can screw wood furring to. the exterior will be covered with siding, and inside will be covered with drywall. We planned for smoke, and Co2 detectors throughout. I know that polystyrene is toxic when it burns. The Jeep crashing into the wall would be a problem, but there is 8" of concrete with rebar inside the styrofoam, so unless the driver gets a good head start, we would only have to replace some siding, and a Jeep!

#12: Re: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:41 am
    ----
cbs, keep us updated with pictures as the hunting "camp" comes together.

#13: Re: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:59 pm
    ----
that sure looks good
is that a duck pond over the road ????

#14: Re: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:12 pm
    ----
Collision isn't much of a problem with a steel reinforced concrete wall even if it has some styrofoam on the outside. On the inside there is supposed to be a firewall between the styrofoam and the interior. Anything that burns releases toxic fumes - This just gives you a little more time to get out before fire gets to the foam.

#15: Re: Was in the Catskills this past weekend. Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:16 am
    ----
Elvis,
The duck pond only gets an occaisional visitor, I have seen a few geese there, but they usually don't stay too long. My youngest daughter did catch a 2 pound large mouth bass in there over the summer. Suprized the heck out of all of us!
PaulS,
Half of the down stairs is garage, and I think the plan is for two layers of 5/8" drywall, the other half is living space, and gets one layer. The outside will probably be Vinyl siding, but I don't think the decision is final.
The framers started on thursday so I have some pics from Saturday morning

-> Spam-O-Rama