170 grn speers .270win
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: 170 grn speers .270win Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:28 pm
    ----
woohoo got some new projectiles to load up. my manual says 40grns of 2206 .has anyone tried this load???

#2: Re: 170 grn speers .270win Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:27 am
    ----
Wow, thats a heavy bullet for .270 with lots of sectional density. A little much for ducks and geese isn't it?

#3: Re: 170 grn speers .270win Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:36 am
    ----
170 grain Speer? I couldn't find anything on that.

#4: Re: 170 grn speers .270win Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:02 pm
    ----
Old bullet.

Scroll down the thread here:
www.thehighroad.org/sh...p?t=422528

#5: Re: 170 grn speers .270win Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:43 pm
    ----
thanks for that guys. we are busy this weekend but I will load some up this coming week and try them out. the 160grn lapuas I had were real accurate so heres hoping. as for ducks n geese If I use the rifle on them now I would have to write myself out a offence notification and get fined. so they will only be my deer bush load!!! ;-)

#6: Re: 170 grn speers .270win Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:08 pm
    ----
I'm probably too late to do any good but imr7828 with the 160 Nos Part is still a good combo.

#7: Re: 170 grn speers .270win Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:11 pm
    ----
Thanks English Mike! I pulled out my Speer #8 and found it.

Elvis, if you want this load info let me know.

#8: Re: 170 grn speers .270win Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:33 pm
    ----
wow these suckers are HUGE loaded some up with 40grns of 2206 and are heading out to try them out. my shouler is aching just looking at em...

#9: Re: 170 grn speers .270win Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:12 pm
    ----
Elvis wrote:
my shouler is aching just looking at em...

They will be a pussycat! You can always add a LimbSaver if you need it. Make sure you post some results.

#10: Re: 170 grn speers .270win Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:13 pm
    ----
well they went bang Very Happy
I know someone well known around here will bust my chops for saying this but the primers showed no sign of flattaning at all Laughing .the bolt lifted fine and my teeth are mostly still in place
the wind was howling plurry typical when you want to sight in but my shots all landed on the paper.
first 2 shots were 130grain taipans and they printed 75mm high
the next 2 were 170grn loads and they were 10mm high
I got comfortableish and put the next3 170s in a group 2 were touching and the 3rd was 10mm above but in line.
yip the wind was howling and I wasnt eggzacary using a bench rest to test them so Im happy enough with that.
In fact to be truthfull Im plurry stoked. Ive got a great long range load with the taipans and the 170 grn speers are right on the money for up close in the bush without needing to re sight in... Cool

#11: Re: 170 grn speers .270win Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:23 pm
    ----
Oh yeah the recoil was fine..
plurry hard case to load though when I went to seat the bullets I put one in and seated it just the right depth slowly lowering the ram half way. I then checked the load would fit in the magazine and chamber without any pressure needed. I then put the completed load back in the press to set the die for that seating depth. I screwed the top of the die out as far as possible. nope not enough. next I unsrewed the die it self untill the depth was sweet then seated the rest like that...

#12: Re: 170 grn speers .270win Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:12 am
    ----
Elvis wrote:
I know someone well known around here will bust my chops for saying this but the primers showed no sign of flattaning at all

I find that, in my .270 rifle, pressure signs on the primers are more prevalent with the 110gr bullets and progressively disappear with the 150s. So I’m not surprised your primers were good.

#13: Re: 170 grn speers .270win Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:21 am
    ----
Elvis wrote:
I wasnt eggzacary using a bench rest to test them

I thought I was doing pretty good with Austrailian English until "eggzacary" came along.

Even Yahoo had "no suggestions" but did turn up these useages.

That is eggzacary where mine broke.
I kant remember eggzacary,
When eggzacary are you going to be in town?

I'm not eggzacary sure, but I think I get it! (slow this morning)

#14: Re: 170 grn speers .270win Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:27 am
    ----
"Plurry" is what confused me...

Glad you got a load working!

#15: Re: 170 grn speers .270win Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:57 pm
    ----
man goes to the doctor with the complaint that he cant get a girlfriend. the doctor tells him to drop his pants and turn around
man does this and doctor says"ha I see problem you have eggzckery diesease" the man replies"is it curable and what is eggzackery diesease anyway?" the doctor replies"your face look egzackery like your arsehole"
(if it doesnt work try a chinese accent for the doctor)
plurry is a VERY old kiwi word used instead of swearing roughly fits in for bloody etc

-> Reloading Ammunition