Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#31: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:24 am
    ----
Elvis wrote:
have you tried another scope???

On my prior Rem 700, I tried everything but truing the action and recrowning. I tried 3 different scopes on that rifle.

On this rifle, there were 2 hand-loads that shot under and MOA and had consistent POI. When I take it to the range the next time and POI remains consistent, I'm not going to investigate the scope further. It's a Leupold and I've already check the mounts.

#32: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:48 pm
    ----
cool bananas... if you are under MOA you got to headed in the right direction. thats a dead deer out a lomg way.

#33: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:59 pm
    ----
slimjim wrote:
It's a Leupold and I've already check the mounts.

wtf Just because it's a Loopy doesn't mean it don't have issues !!!
Over the years we've sent a dozen or so back...........3 were brand new in the box. Mad

#34: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:12 pm
    ----
chambered221 wrote:

Over the years we've sent a dozen or so back...........3 were brand new in the box. Mad

Shudda got a Bushnell! Poke

#35: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:29 pm
    ----
Thanks but no thanks.........I'll stick with my Loopies !!!

#36: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:23 pm
    ----
After a dozen returns? Jaw Drop Well...if it works fer you....I'da moved on after the first 5 or 6, defintely after 7.... ROFL Drive Whip Evil Devil

#37: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:12 pm
    ----
chambered221 wrote:
Over the years we've sent a dozen or so back...........3 were brand new in the box.

I'm with stovey, I'm speechless!!!

#38: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:35 am
    ----
The majority of the scopes were bought second hand so I have no idea as to their history. The bargain prices paid for these pretty much told me what to expect. That's what you gotta love about Leupold, they'll fix anything of theirs no questions asked.......free of charge !!!

Only one scope that was on a varmint gun actually went bad while in use. It began having tracking issues with the elevation turret and became unpredictable.

The 3 new ones !!!
The first one wouldn't hold POI. That gun ended up getting a new stock and bedding job before finding the culprit.
The next one took a .5 MOA gun just over 1.0 MOA. Had this scope been put on your average deer rifle the owner probably wouldn't have ever known there was an issue.
The last one had a O-ring seal hanging out the side of a turret.

All in all I can't really complain, Leupold like any other company has had their ups and downs. They have always responded in a very professional manner regardless the issue. I also have never had to send something back a second time, something I can't say about other companies I've dealt with.

Keep in mind that this is a span of some 30+ years between my dad and I. It didn't all happen in a year or two !!!

Too many people look at Leupold as a scope that never has issues........ sorry to inform you but even they have a warranty department. Shocked

#39: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:07 am
    ----
Just bustin' yer chops ol' buddy. Very Happy

Nail on the head with the everyone has comebacks and a Warty Dept. I'm amazed at the beating glass takes on a firearm and the fact the majors actually have LT wrty's. Some outstanding engineering goes into them and we are lucky we don't pay 3 times as much.

Ooop- pigeon on the railing, gotta go! Razz

#40: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:06 am
    ----
stovepipe wrote:
Ooop- pigeon on the railing, gotta go!

Did you get 'em? The neighbors dog tree'd a squirrel yesterday so I got to use my pellet pistol.

#41: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:00 pm
    ----
Yepper! 1 less flying rat. The Crosman Raven is awesome. I've made kills at over 100' on crows and squirels, etc w/ the Crosman Premier hollow point. I cannot say enough good about this incredible little air rifle. (threadjack sorry :oops:)

#42: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:14 pm
    ----
High sea states in the Gulf of Mexico off the South Texas Coast canceled my dive trip to the Texas Clipper this weekend so I took my hunting buddy with his Rem 700 rifle I had been working on out to the TacPro's 300, 400, and 500 yard ranges. It was a beautiful day. Sunny, upper 80s to lower 90s, and light winds. The winds stayed below 5 mph but came in every direction and constantly switching.

I had loaded him up 20 rounds of H414 59.4gr with Barnes 110gr TTSX bullets. This was the load I choose after the OCW at the beginning of the post. I was very please with the results. We were working a 250 yard zero which gave 3 inches low at 300 yards and 1 inch low at 400 yards shooting with the tip of the lower post to aim with. The reticle's lower post gave a 12-inch hold over at 400 yards with his Leupold 3.5-10X scope on 10X. He had ask for me to set-up a load for him that he could feel confident shooting out to 300 yards. I told him if he could learn to shot with the lower post, he could do 400.

Below are the results. He was shooting under 1 MOA all morning which pleased me to no end. The one long vertical line is the first two shots after adding 2 clicks up in elevation. Looks like it took a couple of shots for the scope to "settle" into its new setting. The 3 shots after that are the small two-hole group on the right. The last 3 shots as he was running out of bullets were 2 @ 300 yards and 1 @ 400 yards (next to the pink sticky that covered a shot he called that he pulled). These were real confidence builders for him because they were exactly where they needed to be. You can see the affects of the shifting wind by some that have significant horizontal spread and the changing POI. Note the premium factory Remington ammo strings out left and right and doesn't compare in accuracy to the hand loads.

#43: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:45 pm
    ----
If you believe in reincarnation, better not come back as a muley or an elk in your neck of the woods!
Edit:
Ooops - I forgot you're in Texas. I better add coyote and whitetail to that list.

#44: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:54 pm
    ----
marty, thanks for the compliment!

#45: Re: Having fun helping a friend accurize his rifle Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:52 am
    ----
Wish I could run paper out to 2-400 y. Good job there mister!

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions