AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:37 am
    ----
Many of you enjoy shooting AR's and many have gone to flat tops and scopes but for those that still have and use iron sights do you ever have a shot go off where you are aiming and not quite know why?

This is a test..... you wil be required to make the call if these sight pictures will result in the bullet impacting on the green target or missing it.

The targets are numbered clockwise starting at the upper right corner.

Record your guess for all 8 targets and I will post the correct answers and explanation in a few days.

#2: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:07 pm
    ----
1. Hit
2. Hit
3. Hit
4. Miss
5. Miss
6. Hit
7. Miss
8. Hit

#3: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:06 pm
    ----
I haven't yet used this type of sight, so this is a bit of a guess:

1. Miss
2. Hit
3. Hit
4. Miss
5. Miss
6. Hit
7. Miss
8. Hit

Still a bolt action fan myself.

#4: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:37 pm
    ----
These military type aperture sights are really very simple but repeatable.

Once you get the rifle pointed to where the sights are lined up (zero the rifle) they work real well.

As a hint - proper sight alignment has the target on top of the front post in the middle of the rear aperature.

#5: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:43 am
    ----
OK, I'll take a shot at it.
1. Miss
2. Miss
3. Miss
4. Hit
5. Miss
6. Hit
7. Miss
8. Hit
I have a vortex red dot on my Bushmaster, and can see the sights through it, but the red dot just makes it so easy. I'm gonna leave it turned off next trip to the range. This post just reminded me that I don't use the sights often enough.

#6: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:52 am
    ----
cbsweeney wrote:

1. Miss
2. Miss
3. Miss
4. Hit
5. Miss
6. Hit
7. Miss
8. Hit

Only 3 hits!?! Are army is in trouble!

#7: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:53 am
    ----
Ok, Dawgdad, alls the bullet has to do is touch the green, right? No need to be center of mass?

#8: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:39 am
    ----
slimjim wrote:
cbsweeney wrote:

1. Miss
2. Miss
3. Miss
4. Hit
5. Miss
6. Hit
7. Miss
8. Hit

Only 3 hits!?! Are army is in trouble!
I hope they shoot better than that!
The sight picture in each of these is off on purpose, and I guess the different sizes represent different ranges, which I didn't consider when I made the choices. I may have to rethink the whole thing. If the range is close enough, or Far enough, that would change the score.

#9: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: metz3601 PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:41 am
    ----
1Miss
2Hit
3Hit
4Miss
5Hit
6Hit
7Miss

#10: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:42 am
    ----
I think the range is the same but there are different size peeps, maybe from different weapons or just to make the quiz more challenging.

#11: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:48 am
    ----
Good Point. I'm curious to see what the answers are. I hope Dawgdad doesn't keep us in suspense for too long.

#12: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:48 pm
    ----
yup bullet touches the green is a hit. relative head position will cause the aperature size difference. If you have the chargin handle up you nose like I do... the aperture loooks pretty big. back off from it and it get relatively smaller.

I will post answers tomorrow.

#13: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:40 pm
    ----
Here is the answers and the reason why. The proper sight alignment must be through the center of the rear aperture. Very slight deviation will throw you off. It will explain why a tight shooting gun will throw off a wild shot too. It may not be the gun - it is the shooter.

Note - the cross hairs are not standard equipment Very Happy

#14: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:33 am
    ----
Ok, what's the prize?

#15: Re: AR iron sights quiz - Hit or Miss? Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:23 am
    ----
The respect and admiration of the entire online commmunity....

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions