Did you know this?
-> Jokes & Humor

#1: Did you know this? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:56 pm
    ----
Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries before the invention of commercial fertilizers, everything had to be transported by ship, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas (of course). As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen: methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, Shocked BOOOOM! Mad Mad Mad

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening.

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction “stow high in transit” on them, which meant the sailors had to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term “S.H.I.T” (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I. Confused Confused

I always thought it was a golf term. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

#2: Re: Did you know this? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:45 pm
    ----
Laughing thats a great one

#3: Re: Did you know this? Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:44 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
I always thought it was a golf term.

LOL! This account is worth passing on.

#4: Re: Did you know this? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:18 am
    ----
That's alright. But wait till Vince explains "Your turn in the barrel".... Popcorn ROFL Hiding

#5: Re: Did you know this? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:37 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
That's alright. But wait till Vince explains "Your turn in the barrel".... Popcorn ROFL Hiding

Or maybe........ "Find the Golden Rivet in the Deck...let me know when you've found it"
Confused Confused Shocked Shocked wtf wtf Shocked Shocked Shocked Mad Mad Mad Hiding Hiding Hiding

Cheers, Vince

#6: Re: Did you know this? Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:40 pm
    ----
I'm not tracking here, I think I am totally lost.

#7: Re: Did you know this? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 pm
    ----
wiersy111 wrote:
I'm not tracking here, I think I am totally lost.

Hey Wiersay...think "young sailor"...think "at sea for a long time on a boat/ship (especially a sailing ship)"....use your imagination mate.

Cheers, Vince

#8: Re: Did you know this? Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:26 pm
    ----
Oh my!!!!

I'm glad I'm Army

-> Jokes & Humor