My new best friend
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#76: Re: My new best friend Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:43 pm
    ----
Bigfoot er what I donno know, it's weird tho. Pump-kin I'm using 45gr of H4831 and Hornady 180 gr sp, CCI primers. I have to shove the bullet down past the crimp groove and so they have a COAL of 2.839. Apparently that's because of the less pointy shape of the bullet (less than the GP-11). If I load to specs the bolt won't close. But they shoot pretty good anyway. I haven't tried GP-11 but would like a bullet that shape with a soft point.

Suz

#77: Re: My new best friend Author: MaqwaLocation: North Bay Ont. Canada PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:25 pm
    ----
Well first of all
How was the birthday?
Did ya go fishin ?

Then not bad shootin' for a new stock and trypod . Will time you will learn the gun, find what it likes .

So we will be looking towards hearing more .

#78: Re: My new best friend Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:54 pm
    ----
Maqwa!! I had a great birthday, didn't go fishing, but ended up buying some fish instead. It was nice being on the coast, wish I could live over there but I'm not too far away. Also had a wonderful dinner with lingcod and scallops.

Love my 'new' gun, it's fun to shoot and purdy too.

Suz

#79: Re: My new best friend Author: MaqwaLocation: North Bay Ont. Canada PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:37 pm
    ----
Always nice to hear some had a good birth- too - day as we cannucts say in slang.

Your loads .
You bullets probably were touching the rifling , thus you could not close your bolt .
Something to ponder --- ?
There seems to be some difference in dies between the older 1911 7.5 and that of the K31 . I know the load for the K31 is stronger , but do not know what the differance is in dies . I noted this in Hornady's catalogue.
If I have some time this week I will do some "WEb surfin'"

#80: Re: My new best friend Author: whittlingLocation: Texas (home state is Mass) PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:55 am
    ----
Ah..Nothing like a straight pull....THose guns are nice looking for a milsurp too. THe Swiss really took care of 'em .Hey do you take off the buttplate too see if there was a name and address of the guns owner? Happens a lot with K-11s and K-31s

#81: Re: My new best friend Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:18 am
    ----
HBD Suz!

Might fine shootin' too! That gal's a keeper!

I don't like fish tough, blech. Sorry.

#82: Re: My new best friend Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:15 pm
    ----
Stoved-pipes!! Thanks! You can clean the fish, I'll eat em. You can watch. Fish oil is good for the blood too, you won't get stoved pipes!

Whittling!! Pleased to meeecha! Nope no troop tag on this one. Where I bought it the troop tagged ones were premium priced so I backed off. I went for the 90% blueing and shiny lands and grooves, as I wanted a shooter to mess with. I guess I picked a good one too.

Suz

#83: Re: My new best friend Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:08 pm
    ----
Pumpkinslinger wrote:
Bigfoot?

What ammo are you using Suz? I found that the Swiss military stuff was awfully accurate, 1.5" group at 100 yards. My handloads haven't touched that, yet...

Have you tried an OCW test using IMR 4064 powder and 165gr (or 180gr) bullets? This seems tom work very well for tight groups in K-31's.

#84: Re: My new best friend Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:13 pm
    ----
Maqwa wrote:

There seems to be some difference in dies between the older 1911 7.5 and that of the K31 . I know the load for the K31 is stronger , but do not know what the differance is in dies . I noted this in Hornady's catalogue.
If I have some time this week I will do some "WEb surfin'"

Reading the warning in the reloading data for the 7.5 is important - In the K-31 the case head is fully supported. This is not true for the earlier 1911's. That is why the K-31 can be loaded to higher pressures.

Last edited by 44marty on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

#85: Re: My new best friend Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:21 pm
    ----
Suzanne wrote:

There was something weird going on in the forest and I noticed it the last time I was out there too. I can hear trees falling but with out any chainsaw sounds or wind or anything. I can hear the tree cracking, the crash through the limbs and the thump when it falls. Today I heard it twice. It's like there's an elephant pushing over trees. Lord help me!

Suz

That's how I get into trouble, Suz - I am too curious. I wouldn't have been able to resist a trek into the forest to see what was going on.

Has there been a lot of rain lately there? It could be softened earth and erosion has weakened the footing for the trees. You may be hearing the roots cracking as the trees begin to fall.

I like the bigfoot idea - or a huge stray grizzley better though.

#86: Re: My new best friend Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:27 pm
    ----
Thanks Marty!! I've not tried the 4064, don't have any right now. Are you using 180gr bullets? I want to stay close to 180gr. I kinda like how my loads turned out. I did a sort of abreviated OCW trial, but might do a better one later on. I'm a bit put off right now because bow hunting has started here and my 'private' range is now off limits. Don't wanna snag a bow hunter either.

Well the weather was dry for a good couple months when the trees were walking away, but now it's started raining. Spooky~~stuff. Yeah I wanted to go walkin around and find out what was happening but it sounded too far away for me to go bush-wacking. Once you get away from the road the berry vines, low bushes and stick piles make it pretty hard going. Hard to tell what direction too really, as I was up against a burm.

Probably just another one of them frikin big foots, pesky things...

Suz

#87: Re: My new best friend Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:44 pm
    ----
I loaded some rounds with Hornady 180gr round nose bullets, but didn't run an OCW test with these. They shot OK (a little over 3/4" group at 50 yds), but 165gr Speer boattail soft points shot fantastic (1 cloverleaf hole at 50 yds). I didn't try longer distances than 75 yards, but I am guessing that the 165gr Speer bullets will shoot pretty flat.

Yeah - the woods in Oregon aren't like the hills here in the east. Out there you need a machete and climbing rope to go for a hike, most places. Pretty thick and steep.

#88: Re: My new best friend Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:00 pm
    ----
Suz...want pics of that there Yowie critter mate. Big Footz is a little rare these days and I ain't seem anything that would even come close to one... 'specially if he has the snots wiv the trees and is pushin' 'em over.

Cheers, Vince

#89: Re: My new best friend Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:16 pm
    ----
I'll do anything for you Vince;
This is something we see all the time here, the footprints, but it's not too scary because usually they're pretty old and so you feel pretty safe that one is not around watching you or stalking you

Now I didn't take any of these pictures but they're common to find at yard sales around here, lots of people out hunting, so you're bound to see a few.

If you ever come to Oregon you might see what looks like someone hanging from a tree, but actually it's just one of the few hunters that dare to snare the buggers.

They have official maps now that you can follow just like gold mining prospects. Some day they're going to get smart and put up some big foot crossing signs on the roads that they frequently cross.

Yeah I know this one looks fake, sorry

This is why they try and snare them. The bastards steel stuff all the time and since they're mainly nocturnal it's hard to catch em.

The really nice ones you can get to baby sit your kids. This one is teaching the kid to count on her fingers. Hey they may be ugly and stinky and freeekin tall but they do love kids.

I think this is another fake.....hard to tell...

Suz

#90: Re: My new best friend Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:33 am
    ----
Haha Haha Haha Haha Haha Haha Haha Haha

Thems is nice friendly lookin' dudes mate...the sort that you would be happy to accompany down a dark alley in the middle of the night. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions