What is the best .22 Centrefire?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#16: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: skb2706 PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:33 am
    ----
Any thread that starts out with a question like "What is the best.....?" is like a train wreck. You don't always want to but you have to look.

Thats like asking "whats the best color" its so objective that it begs not to be answered.

With that, I won 5 different chamberings of .22 CF. My "best" is a 22-250 AI.

#17: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: ErnyLocation: Brisbane PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:47 pm
    ----
Yeah i agree with you Vince, given the choice i would prefer the 7.62 S.L.R.
except for the weight, and the gas regulator that controlled the blow back
action. Killing power has never been a consideration in the Military, as the objective is to wound your enemy not kill him, as it only takes one person to bury a dead enemy, but takes a dozen personal to look after a wounded one.
What they forgot to mention was that a wounded enemy can still shoot and kill you, but that is of no consequence to the powers that be, as they are never on the firing line! It is said, all generals & Politicians die in bed!

Cheers erny.

#18: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:34 pm
    ----
whats best??? Ive got a .223 and yip it does the biz no problems no fuss I can buy ammo pretty much anywhere for it and have never felt undergunned when using it. from bunnies to red deer it will do its part if I do mine. yes Vince the hi power savage is a sweet wee rifle to handle and were used here in NZ to account for alot of deer and pigs.hopefilly someone will bring the caliber back in a rossi single etc but I guess a good gun smith could rechamber without too much fuss.

#19: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: ArronLocation: Cen.Iowa, by way of SWIowa PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:54 am
    ----
One that has intrigued me for awhile, after actually shooting one a former neighbor had, is a HS Precission(sp?) made .22.240. That critter was a total hoot to shoot!!! HE HE HE!!! Yeah I meant to type that! But what we in the family use for .22 cal. centerfires here in SWIowa is as follows, .22-250Rem and the .223/5.56 in Dad's AR and .223Rem in my NEF Handy-Rifle. I cannot use Military brass in my NEF, period! It will stick the case everytime!

#20: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:10 am
    ----
After years of playing with 22 centerfires, I can't say that I've come across one I DIDN'T like. Guess I have to agree with EVERYONE'S favorite.

The .222 for accuracy and shorter ranges; the 22-250 for longer range and all-around use (It really CAN do anything any of the others do).

Now I'm playing with my .204, and learning a lot about doping the wind.

#21: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:04 pm
    ----
Aaron, military 5.56 x 45mm loads are hotter, and I think longer, than civilian .223 loads and shouldn't be used in ".223" rifles. If you're reloading be aware that the military brass is thicker and you'll have to reduce your .223 loads a bit if you are switching from civilian to military brass.

#22: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:07 pm
    ----
Military 5.56x45mm NATO rounds are loaded hotter but due to the longer leade in the barrel (from where the case neck ends to the start of the rifling) the pressure actually drops down to "safe" levels. The purpose of this is that it allows the ammunition to work as it should in very dirty chambers/barrels.

The 5.56mm NATO runs 10,000-12,000 PSI hotter then the 223 Remington commercial loads. However if shooting in lets say a M700 bolt action, the difference is negligible according to some due to the high pressures only equaling the "super magnums" that are chambered in the same firearms. It is however a issue for semi-automatic firearms and should be paid close attention to.

Dimitri

#23: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: kongo PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:28 pm
    ----
220 swift if you want fast 223 if you want cheap ammo. I been killing prairie dogs and coyotes with the swift since 1968 I it my ma bell because it reaches out there and touches someone. Nephew likes the 223 because he doesn't reload but then again nobody is perfect

#24: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:36 am
    ----
a 6mm..... Very Happy

#25: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:13 pm
    ----
The 22-250 is hard to beat but I would like to try a 308 necked down to 22.
I would like to use very heavy bullets in it to get it to be less wind sensitive. I don't know what I would use it for other than punching paper but it "sounds" like a keeper.
Heck, I am sure someone has already done it - I just haven't seen it.

#26: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:25 pm
    ----
paul - 22 Cheetah MKII, 22-243 , 22-243 AI will all fill your request. flat screamers...

#27: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:15 pm
    ----
I read once about the .22-378 "Eargesplittin Loudenboomer". .378 Wby necked down to .224. Good for about 6000 fps and the barrel lasted about 6 shots...

#28: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:22 am
    ----
Very Happy .223/5.56 x 11 at last count.But still adding to the collection.Have a couple of nef's that have never "stuck a round" in the chamber-no matter milsurp or reloads and [b]HOT reloads too boot. wtf Why change 22's when you find the perfect one! Razz Nananana

#29: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:24 pm
    ----
22-243 sounds PERFECT!
I have a great gunsmith so all I have to do is find a short bolt action and decide on a barrel.

Ok you guys there is one detail I will need some help with... Very Happy
I need to start taking donations to pay for this toy.
I don't think I can get away with saying it is for the church so your donations won't be tax deductible but they will go for a good cause. I'll even let you shoot it anytime you come see me. I'll even throw in a blue-berry pancake breakfast and home made blue-berry syrup.
(if anyone actually sends me money I will have to send it back - in good conscience I cannot take money from you great people to build myself a gun)

#30: Re: What is the best .22 Centrefire? Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:10 pm
    ----
What is the barrel life expectancy of the 22-243? I know the 22 is not to far off the 243, but the differance may be enough to increase throat erosion on a huge scale!!!

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions