Pistol Primers
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: Pistol Primers Author: wildlumberjack1983Location: Oregon PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:08 am
    ----
So i was wondering if it would be ok to use large pistol primers for a 9mm??....Also what is the difference between large and small pistol primers??...Thanks!!

#2: Re: Pistol Primers Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:54 am
    ----
No...They won't fit. Too big. 9mm X 19 uses a small pistol primer because the primer pocket is small compared to a case that takes a large pistol primer like the .45 ACP.

#3: Re: Pistol Primers Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:02 am
    ----
Pictures worth a thousand words...

#4: Re: Pistol Primers Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:25 am
    ----
Small rifle & pistol primers are .175 diameter and large rifle & pistol are .210 diameter.
The cup height also varies by about .010 between large and small

#5: Re: Pistol Primers Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:49 pm
    ----
wildlumberjack1983,
These folks have given good advice. I would suggest that you refer to a current reloading manual before you start reloading. Lyman, Hornady, Speer and Sierra are good choices. Hope this helps. All the best...
Gil

#6: Re: Pistol Primers Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:19 pm
    ----
Well, then again I have milled out primer pockets of a batch of 38 SPL cases to accept large primers.
Not to use for "real" fire but it is definitely give more oomph on the practice wax bullets loaded without powder.

#7: Re: Pistol Primers Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:42 am
    ----
wildlumberjack1983 wrote:
So i was wondering if it would be ok to use large pistol primers for a 9mm??....Also what is the difference between large and small pistol primers??...Thanks!!

Please take this not as a criticism but in the spirit it is offered: The correct components, whether primers, powders, bullets and etc. are so vitally crucial to your safety and success as a hand-loader that you really need to do as Gil suggested and read as many good reloading manuals as possible before starting. No one, especially persons in this group, wants to see you or anyone else injured. Please proceed slowly, ask as many questions as necessary (no one minds answering your questions) and understand the entire process before beginning what will become a rewarding experience.

Good luck and stay safe!

#8: Re: Pistol Primers Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:47 am
    ----
Get this before you pull the handle.

www.cabelas.com/p-0018...483a.shtml

Advice given prior is genuine.

If ya try and insert a LPP into a SPP pocket it will go "BANG!!" long before ya get it there.

Like it says on the menu at fancy restaurants: no substitutions!

-> Reloading Ammunition