3 more weeks of hell
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: 3 more weeks of hell Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:28 pm
    ----
Well I feel like I got kicked in the butt by my company. We've been working severe overtime since mid-Oct to finish up our project. We had planned on a mid March completion but due to mismanagement and other issues, we still aren't done. Now we are planning for our next "drop dead date", which is 3 weeks out.

Because even that date is in jepordy, they are ratcheting up our overtime even more. 12 hour day minimums, 7 days a week. I think we will still blow past our new date by a week or two.

The thing that really ticks me off, is that I finally, after 7 years of trying... I finally drew a Turkey tag this year. I had permission for 3500 acres of private property that has quite a few birds on it. Turkeys were introduced only a short time ago, so I've never hunted them before. Unfortunately the roads upto that area still have 3ft of snow in places and it's snowing hard as we speak. The hunt starts this sat and runs for... you guessed it, 3 weeks. I asked for a few days off, but they said I was in too critical of a role and had to be here.

Mad

So with no time to hunt and the bad weather (I have no idea how snow affects spring turkeys?), I stopped by the F&G office today and turned in my tag. They will re-issue it to someone else which is good. I loose the cost of the tag, but they will refund my bonus points so I can go into next years draw with them.

I am sooo sick of work right now. And really disappointed in missing out on my first ever Turkey hunt. Sad

-DallanC

#2: Re: 3 more weeks of hell Author: Donut SlayerLocation: Pensacola, Florida PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:36 pm
    ----
sorry to hear that. anytime ya want to come to florida, i can put you on some birds. they're everywhere here.

#3: Re: 3 more weeks of hell Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:57 pm
    ----
I am sorry about your situation Dallan.

I to am in the critical stage of my design job, in a way I am lucky I could do my job through internet.
Thats why I brought my laptop, portable internet connection, a huge antenna and a huge backup battery on my Easter hunt.
I managed to get some work done at night after a day of hunting.
Its too bad I cannot enjoy the camp fire as what it should be, but I rather go hunting than stay in the office typing.

Anyhow, whenever you visit us in the land of Oz, us the Ozzian members may arrange for some hunt together.
At least there is always open season to hunt pigs and goats here (or even deers in some area)..

#4: Re: 3 more weeks of hell Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:13 pm
    ----
Sorry to hear you will miss the Turkey season Dallan, but I know how you feel. It happens to me regularly in Sept Elk season. I have to miss most years cause that's when we start pushing to get everything done before freeze up.
I have never been turkey hunting either and would really love to go some year.

Next year Dallan, at least that's what I always tell myself .......... Sad

#5: Re: 3 more weeks of hell Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:24 pm
    ----
I reckon if the snow melted I'd have caught bird flu for a few days matey. Wink

#6: Re: 3 more weeks of hell Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:19 pm
    ----
Dallan, its not fun to work like that and after a while, efficiency goes to pot and workers aren't getting much more work done than if they worked a regular week. Then there are the moral issues to deal with. Best of luck mate! At least you got your points back.

#7: Re: 3 more weeks of hell Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:58 pm
    ----
I for one, am jealous of your overtime! I'm working 3 1/2 days a week and wonder if I can pay mortgage, health insurance, car insurance, food and so on. I know how it sux about the turkey season too. My boss is a sort of pooof, loves to travel, has no idea or a care about his employees and I'm always hit with the deer season when we're the busiest and I can't seem to get a day off. This year I was lucky, but most I'm not. First ever turkey draw and you can't go! Totally sux! But the snow? I dunno if that's a good thing, probably not. You got your bonus points though. Way good. Couldn't you have gone on a weekend? I know, it's all over now.....sorry. Oh well practice your turkey call and get the shooting practice together. Next year will hopefully be better for you and you can get some insight as to how this year went. Sounds like mostly you should get some sleep! Keep collecting all that overtime!! Send me your left-overs!!

Chin up!
Suz

#8: Re: 3 more weeks of hell Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:57 pm
    ----
Sorry to hear that Dallan, I know how frustrating it is...but as Suz says...(over)time is money...and money equates to a better lifestyle for your family mate.

Hang in there buddy...if your bosses are half decent, once this job is finished you will get some "me" time to spend with your family or in the bush hunting.

Cheers, Vince

#9: Re: 3 more weeks of hell Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:58 pm
    ----
That sux!

Sounds like you need a mental health day. Just tell them your having homicidal tendencies and are going to therapy.

#10: Re: 3 more weeks of hell Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:44 pm
    ----
Suzanne wrote:
I for one, am jealous of your overtime!

Suz

Don't be. I don't get paid for over time, not a dime. Shocked

Vince wrote:
Hang in there buddy...if your bosses are half decent, once this job is finished you will get some "me" time to spend with your family or in the bush hunting.

Cheers, Vince

They are planning to give us time off. They are talking 4 weeks off this time around due how grueling this project has been. I just want the madness to end, I need to finish up PointBlank and a few other projects I've got lingering around LOL

-DallanC

#11: Re: 3 more weeks of hell Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:51 am
    ----
I had to get a letter from my doctor once to get some time off. She just wrote a note saying that due to my health I couldn't work more than xx hours of overtime a week. The management was stuck because they have no legal challenge to doctors orders. They had to limit the overtime for me.
What really sux is that most everyone that worked there was on Prozak and some were mixing that with happy herbs. It was kind of dangerous just to work beside a few of those guys.

#12: Re: 3 more weeks of hell Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:04 pm
    ----
I went 10 1/2 months last year in a permanent layoff status !!!

Trust me........I'd rather worry about when I might get to go hunting again as opposed to If I'll be able to provide for my family !!! It wasn't fun !!!

#13: Re: 3 more weeks of hell Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:22 pm
    ----
chambered221 wrote:
I went 10 1/2 months last year in a permanent layoff status !!!

Trust me........I'd rather worry about when I might get to go hunting again as opposed to If I'll be able to provide for my family !!! It wasn't fun !!!

Yea thats why I'm still doing it... sucks, but could suck more I guess. Anywho thats why people dont see me online as much lol

-DallanC

#14: Re: 3 more weeks of hell Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:59 pm
    ----
That sucks buddy. Hang in there. Turning your tag in so someone else had a shot at it is good karma though Very Happy . You will have some good luck coming your way Very Happy

#15: Re: 3 more weeks of hell Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:53 am
    ----
Dallan, I can appreciate your frustration. Several years ago I drew a turkey permit and had a nearly sure thing area to hunt. Came the week before the 3 day season and I was informed by my wife that my oldest daughter was moving back home from St. Louis and that we were moving her. The moving date? You guessed it!

-> General