Converting Ruger 10-22 to a 17 Mach II
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Converting Ruger 10-22 to a 17 Mach II Author: WildHorseLocation: Nebraska PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:46 pm
    ----
Has anyone out there done this?
What are the major pitfalls you have experienced?
Any do's and don'ts?
Any problem with ammunition--does the gun have a preference?

I'm wide open here fellas----will welcome any ideas

As always, Thanks for your input.

#2: Re: Converting Ruger 10-22 to a 17 Mach II Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:35 am
    ----
I have had no experience with the 17 Mach II nor has it perked my interest because the ammo cost so much more than .22LR. However, looks like they have had some problems.

Ruger 10/22 Conversion Warnings

Where can you find the conversion kits? Sportsman Club is sold out. ShootersSolutions has them for $600!?!

I read some other posts that suggest the HMR2's popularity is fading and to expect ammo to get more expensive. Some suggest to get a rifle built for the HMR if you want a .17 cartridge.

#3: Re: Converting Ruger 10-22 to a 17 Mach II Author: A17ShooterLocation: California Foothills (Gold Country) PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:21 pm
    ----
rimfiresports.com was recommended as a conversion parts source on another site.

Volquartsen.com is another.

Good Luck

#4: Re: Converting Ruger 10-22 to a 17 Mach II Author: bracerLocation: Prairie Dog Country PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:10 pm
    ----
I have a bolt action 17 HM2 and use it for shots out to about 125 yards on prairie dogs. There some problems with converting a 22 semi auto to the 17 HM 2 round. The bolt needs to be heavier . There is a lot of info at www.rimfirecentral.com about the semi auto rimfire rifles. I,m keeping my Ruger 10-22 T as is.

#5: Re: Converting Ruger 10-22 to a 17 Mach II Author: skb2706 PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:19 am
    ----
Guys that I know that have done it tell me they would not do it again. As both the 17 MII and the 17 HMR have constantly changing pressure spikes this creates many feeding and ejecting problems in semi auto guns. Consider this along with cost of the project and cost of ammo...I wouldn't do it.

#6: Re: Converting Ruger 10-22 to a 17 Mach II Author: BigPaul PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:21 pm
    ----
I have a 10/22 converted with a bull barrel and a heavier bolt charging handle. I shoots like a dream. Pin point out to 150 yards. its like operating a loud sewing machine. Never have had a feed/ejection problem. Ammo is more expensive but it is getting cheaper by the day. I would do it again. Head shots on Grey's was never this easy with a 22.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions