Wish me luck!
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: Wish me luck! Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:13 am
    ----
I will be competing in a calling contest this weekend on public ground in southern Indiana.

Much of the terrain is forest with lots of hills and ravines, very different from the flat land I hunt regularly. Do any of you have experience in timber sets and calling coyotes in heavier cover? Any tips or tricks different from flat land calling?

#2: Re: Wish me luck! Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:25 pm
    ----
No advice from me but best of luck, you should do just fine Very Happy

Joe

#3: Re: Wish me luck! Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:56 pm
    ----
Good luck mate, no advise from me.
I never can call anything, not even a taxi Sad

#4: Re: Wish me luck! Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:57 pm
    ----
Good Luck !!!

#5: Re: Wish me luck! Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:05 pm
    ----
This is from a web site I found, where they were talking about hunting in a forested area of NY state, hope it helps (prob. won't....but I tried)

The squeal of a distressed rabbit is hardly music to the ears, especially when it has been going on for 40 seconds.

But that's what it takes to call in these winter predators. Start strong and long — if you have something chewing on your leg, you are not going to whimper.

You can use an electronic call, such as a FoxPro digital system about the size of a 6-volt lantern that runs on four AA batteries, but mouth-blown rabbit squealers give you the most control.

After finding a set-up area with a cross wind, sneak into the location and then wait five minutes to let things settle down.

Call for 40 to 60 seconds and wait five minutes while looking carefully.

A second series of squeals may be necessary, followed by a wait and even a third series and wait might be good. If nothing happens, change locations.

Predator hunting and calling is either a relatively fast-action sport or a bust.

When you get up from your position, do it slowly and quietly, so if there is something there, you'll have an additional chance.

If you shoot a predator, don't move. They seldom are alone, and you might have a chance of taking a second or even a third.

Squealin
Suz

#6: Re: Wish me luck! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:19 am
    ----
Good luck Dawgdad.

Like Gelan, I have very limited experience at critter callin', although I have whistled in the odd fox, but I doubt that will be of any use to you mate.

Cheers, Vince

#7: Re: Wish me luck! Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:47 pm
    ----
Suzanne summed it up very well.

#8: Re: Wish me luck! Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:10 pm
    ----
Good luck this weekend Dawgdad. I've called in heavy timber areas before in north Idaho, and NW Montana. All I can say is when things happen, they happen quickly. It's a tough way to hunt coyotes. Have fun. Very Happy

#9: Re: Wish me luck! Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:34 pm
    ----
When my Son and I go, Im on the rifle and he has my 11-87 with a turkey choke and a load of #4's for the ones who get in close and on the move.

-> Varmint Hunting