New Baby
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#16: Re: New Baby Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:53 am
    ----
I made an Excel spread sheet to calculate the Greenhill formula as a quick reference. It works to figure the necessary twist if you have bullet diamter and length OR maximum bullet length if you have diameter and twist. I'll be happy to email it to anyone who wants it.

#17: Re: New Baby Author: tcknightLocation: Arkansas PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:11 pm
    ----
gelandangan wrote:

That alone should stop me from trying something like groovies bullet.

That's not a bullet. I submit that what you are seeing is a ....

Boat Anchor.

#18: Re: New Baby Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:16 pm
    ----
Holy canolee...somethin's gonna die.

Bet ya can here the "thunk" in the next zip code when the big boy burns in!

#19: Re: New Baby Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:22 pm
    ----
well NEI lied about this one fellas , sposed to be a 458 645 grain with GC .. I jus weighed 35 of them and they run about 730 in WW

#20: Re: New Baby Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:25 pm
    ----
Wow.

Ok, now what? That's a giant chunk of lead!

#21: Re: New Baby Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:55 pm
    ----
now what ?? hopefully a range day soon ..

#22: Re: New Baby Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
    ----
Copy that, big baddaboom, comin' right up!

#23: Re: New Baby Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:16 am
    ----
GroovyJack wrote:
well NEI lied about this one fellas , sposed to be a 458 645 grain with GC .. I jus weighed 35 of them and they run about 730 in WW

When you think about that Groovy, it's actually a bit scary. The difference between the advertised weight and the actual weight is 85 grains. When you consider the extra pressure that could be generated it's not hard to see how a gun could blow up.

Luckily you were smart enough to weigh your boolits...I'll lay odds that there are plenty out there that wouldn't bother, and simply accept the advertised weight.

Cheers, Vince

#24: Re: New Baby Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:34 am
    ----
May I repeat... Holy cow! I think I'd double check with NEI on that one.

#25: Re: New Baby Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:20 am
    ----
Pressure with casts isnt "much" an issue as with jacketed tho' Vince .. Most starting loads for casts , are around 60% of the starting load for a jacket of the same weight ..

My secret , with cast , has always been to use a powder too slow for the caliber with jacketed ( if I want a full case or nearly so of powder ) ..

Got some ideas where to start with it , we will see soon ..

#26: Re: New Baby Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:09 am
    ----
Vinny make's a great point.

Scale's are cheap, guns (and body parts) aint!

Man that's a big difference.... and big bullet!

#27: Re: New Baby Author: POP!!Location: Cheyenne, Wy PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:37 pm
    ----
Jack here is my favorite.
700 grain cast for my 500 S&W pistol.
With some lilgun I get 1230 fps. Here is Stephan my 13 year old shooting it.

#28: Re: New Baby Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:15 pm
    ----
WOW 2 1/4 inch cartridge shot by hand!!!

Either thats not much of a recoil, or your son has got the grip right.
I think it is the second option.
The boy definitely do not move at the time he pull the trigger!!
Good job!!

#29: Re: New Baby Author: POP!!Location: Cheyenne, Wy PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:34 pm
    ----
He is a trooper for sure. This was his second antelope this year.

270 Win 130 gr Ballistic tip at 3050 fps. 249 yards. DRT

#30: Re: New Baby Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:34 pm
    ----
Hey poopie , what's up ???

Where you been ??

Reckon the job here aint happening huh ??

My brother has a 500 Smiff , is a handful ..

Hope ta get to the range after Thanksgiving with these puppies ..

-> Reloading Ammunition