The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#616: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:48 am
    ----
Yes Elvis I really like the looks of the 25-06 and the fact you can make brass for it from several popular calibers. It would make a great coyote rifle and with the 120 grain bullet has enough energy for well placed shots on big game. The 260 is a slightly bigger diameter and can be loaded with 160 grain bullets. I haven't done the ballistic comparisons yet using Point Blank so at this stage I am still on the fence.

As far as having too many rifles and guns I don't really understand the question:-) Each caliber and weapon has its own characteristics. Each is unique. I have my eye out for a target grade 22 lr. I have a semi and a 22 WMR single in rifle and a revolver in 22 lr and WMR. Someone who does't shoot can't comprehend why I "need" They don't have the personal interest or point of reference to be able to appreciate the satisfaction and pleasure derived from owning and shooting firearms. That same person may own more shoes and handbags than they "need" and lets not forget jewelry, yet can't see the similarity. If I own 100 firearms why am I a gun nut while someone who owns 100 paintings an enthusiast.

Some people. ?...blah

#617: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:35 pm
    ----
MacD, several years ago I became a fan of the .260. I wrote about it here>> www.huntingnut.com/ind...amp;sid=59

Since then I bought a second .260, a Remington 700. I've killed a few deer with them and plan to kill more! Very versatile cartridge with easily manageable recoil.

#618: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:30 pm
    ----
Very interesting article Pumkinslinger. I am still fence sitting but the 260 is definately pulling ahead. I have a 308 Marlin that I could get rebarrelled but that isn't my first chioce. My Savage in 223 rem is the most accurate rifle I have owned so I am leaning toward their Model 12 long range precision with a 1 in 8 twist. They also have a model 11 but it is 1 in 10 and I doubt it will stabilize the heavier bullets. The 12 is a heavy brute at about 12 pounds with a scope installed.

#619: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:37 pm
    ----
I don't know whether Remington corrected the problem with the 6mm but the original rifles had too slow a twist to stabilize the longer bullets. If you decide to go that route be sure to specify 1 in 8 or 9 inches so you can shoot that 140 grain bullet.

My personal choice would be the 257 Roberts. All the guns made today are able to use the modern loading pressures that make it a fine round able to handle the heavier bullets in that caliber. We all have our own needs though.

#620: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:12 am
    ----
Paul, that was the mistake they made with the .244 Remington that was supposed to be in competition with the .243 Win (twist 1:10). Later Remington corrected that mistake and gave a 1:9 twist and renamed the .244 Rem into the 6 mm Remington.
But then you're talking about the 6 mm, not about the .260 or 6,5 mm.

In 6,5 mm, I myself have the 6,5x54 MS (Mannlicher-Shönaur), but my friend has the 6,5x68. Now if you want a flat shooting 6,5 mm, have a look at this 6,5x68. It doesn't carry the name "magnum", but it's performance...
(and this will give you a good reason to buy the bigger brother 8x68 also...)

#621: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:16 am
    ----
Aloy I took a look and it is an impressive caliber. From what I have read the barrel will fit a Mauser 98 action with minimal if any fitting. Couldn't find a supplier in North America. But I did start reading more about 6.5 offerings and have located a 6.5 long range hunter 11/111 Savage in 6.5 Creedmore. I still want a 260 but that 6.5 has potential.:-)

BTW the twist quoted by the retailer for the Model 11 that I mentioned in the post above was wrong. It actually is 1-8. He was referring to the same rifle in 308.

#622: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:14 am
    ----
So I have decided to get a Savage11/111 in 260 Remington. I couldn't find a good picture of one but here is the link to the page on the Savage site Now the haggling over price begins :-) savagearms.com/firearm...ANGEHUNTER

#623: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:22 pm
    ----
Nice rig, MacD! Will you be able to sleep at night?

#624: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:18 pm
    ----
ooooh, that's nice! Do they make one in 257 Roberts?

#625: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:05 am
    ----
Paul:
Not in 257 but in 25-06 which is similar. I settled on the 260 because it will take a 160 grain bullet if I choose to use one for hunting.

#626: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:01 pm
    ----
Mac,
With the way my luck runs I would fire the 25-06 in my 30-06 and wonder why I couldn't hit anything. I'll wait til I find a great deal on a 257 Roberts.

#627: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:42 pm
    ----
I am weak I admit it. I found a Savage 99f in 308 in excellent condition for $599 and I bought it. The 260 is ordered. Maybe I need therapy :-).

#628: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:01 pm
    ----
When you get some ammo loaded up you'll get all the therapy you need!

RECOIL THERAPY! yeaaaaaaaaa!

#629: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' threa Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:31 am
    ----
Very Happy

Here is the 99f.

#630: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' threa Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:44 am
    ----
Those old 99's are really cool rifles. You will enjoy it very much. Lots of talk about the .257 Roberts. Really love mine, and also the 6MM I built a few years ago. All great calibers and very accurate. Enjoy that 99. Very Happy

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions