The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 42, 43, 44  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#406: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:15 pm
    ----
OK !!! Put her back on the table.

#407: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:35 pm
    ----
She makes her little sisters look tiny . . . . No matter how you look at her . . . . .

#408: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' threa Author: tjparker_81Location: Aiken, South Carloina PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:36 pm
    ----
How is that Walther P22? I'm thinking about getting that for my wife.

And yeah, she does look like a beast.

#409: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:18 am
    ----
Nice roller....classic huntin rig. Like the fish scale scabard too!

#410: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:55 pm
    ----
Fish scale ???? That's basket weave Stovey. Laughing

Cheers, Vince

#411: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:14 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
Fish scale ???? That's basket weave Stovey. Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Ooops! Mad

Yer right. I didn't look closely enough...

Embarassed

I aitn that bright!

#412: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:25 am
    ----
The Walther P22 is an excellent shooter. One drawback is that it prefers hotter ammo. It functions flawlessly with CCI Mini-Mag and Stinger ammo. Using cheap bulk .22 ammo, it frequently jams (failure to completely eject cases). The red-dot sight is great. The only drawback there is that the design of the Walther factory scope mount requires removing the mount in order to field strip the pistol for thorough cleaning. There just isn't quite enough room to tip the slide up and out from under the scope mount.

After about 200-300 rounds it is necessary to clean the action well on the Walther. Powder residue builds up, causing fail-to-fire (after something over 300 rounds) when the pistol gets too dirty (the firing pin sticks).

That little Ruger LC9 is a sweet little pistol, and they can be had for light money right now. Online sites have new ones going for $100 less than the $399 retail. Crimson Trace just came out with laser sights for them also.

If you want a "can't miss" .22 handgun, nothing beats the Ruger Single Six with a Bushnell trophy multiplex sight (as the one in the photo). The Weigand scope mount requires no drilling and tapping - uses the existing threads. Some shooters don't like single-action, but this setup is great to build cnfidence in a new shooter. It is difficult to miss with.

EDIT: I wasn't impressed with the S&W Bodyguard 380. Breaking this down and reassembling was a PITA - the assembly pin is tricky to fudge around with, not well-fit like other S&W's Not nearly as nice in the hand as the Ruger LC9 either.

#413: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:14 am
    ----
Single Six's rock- NEVER sell one- ever!

I love SA's. Very easy to shoot. DA's are too. Funny most that get Da's end up shooting them SA so whats the bloddy point... Laughing

#414: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: tjparker_81Location: Aiken, South Carloina PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:53 pm
    ----
44marty wrote:
The Walther P22 is an excellent shooter.

Thanks 44marty. I want something that my wife can get comfortable with. I intend on her taking the concealed weapons permit test and I was told that the Walther P22 was an easy gun to shoot. I would like to step her up to the PK380 to carry with her when she is comfortable with firing a weapon.

As for the topic of this thread, my next one is going to be a Springfield XD 45. Springfield is running a promotion to get three more mags. with the purchase by Nov 30th. It already comes with two mags, a clip holster, speed loader, gun holster, and case for $628.55. One clip alone was about $45 each.
So it'll be the XD45 along with the P22 come next for me.

#415: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:22 am
    ----
XD's rock! Their 45's are pretty snappy so- get the 5" if ya dont like muzzle whip.

#416: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:14 am
    ----
How much experience you got shooting XD's ???

Comparing them to others (poly) I'd say their one of the easiest to control.
I'd put he M&P Smith right next to them as far as that goes.
The recoil is more of a rearward movement and I'd also describe them as soft and comfortable to shoot.

The shorter barrels will obviously jump more but is still friendly in the hands.

#417: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: tjparker_81Location: Aiken, South Carloina PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:46 am
    ----
It did feel nice to grip concidering it's so big to house a 13 round mag. I don't want the compact. 5" all the way.

#418: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:04 am
    ----
Me?

Lots. Why?

The 4" snaps and snaps good w/ 230gr Fed Hydrashok, it's a light pistol even with a full mag. Snaps way more than a 40 or 9. The handle is long, same as the 5" so CCW is compromised so I personally recomend the 5" Both are a fantastic shooters, easy to do same with, re-aquires quick et al. I'm not knocking it, I'm just advising and letting him know the 4" has more snap than the 5".

#419: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:34 pm
    ----
I like the sound of the XD45, and from what I have read they don't seem to have many, if any real, problems. I did see this Utube video though, which made me open my eyes a bit...

youtu.be/dVe10MFaFso .

Why a .380 TJ? How do the ballistics of the .380 compare to a 9mm? I must admit I am not familiar with the .380, but it seems to me that it is very similar to the .38S&W. I put the .38S&W in the same class as the .25 for self defence...you shouldn't shoot someone with it as you might hit them and make them real cranky.

Cheers, Vince

#420: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Author: tjparker_81Location: Aiken, South Carloina PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:34 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:
Why a .380 TJ?

From what I understand of the .380 is a shorter compact version of a 9mm. I'm not that studied on ballistics but here is a quote I found on the design.

"The .380 ACP cartridge was designed for early blowback pistols which lacked a barrel locking mechanism. The locking mechanism that is found on most other pistols is not necessary for the .380 because of the round's low breech pressure when fired. The recoil spring and the mass of the slide itself are enough to buffer the recoil energy of the round. This simplifies manufacture of pistols chambered for such a round, generally thereby lowering the cost. It also permits the barrel to be permanently fixed to the frame, which promotes accuracy."

Here is some ballistic performance.
Bullet weight/type------Velocity-----------------Energy
90 gr (5.8 g) JHP------1,000 ft/s (300 m/s)---200 ft·lbf (270 J)
95 gr (6.2 g) FMJ------980 ft/s (300 m/s)-----203 ft·lbf (275 J)

The reason I want it is for the compact design of the pistols and its a larger caliber for a small frame. Also something to build up an arsenal. I want it for my wife so to step her up in caliber and get comfortable with firearms.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions