New to Hunting so Bare with me
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: New to Hunting so Bare with me Author: MagforceLocation: Middle Tennessee PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:52 pm
    ----
My first post under general explains why my questions may seem dumb to some of you but I am new to hunting any type of Game, I have always been a shooter and reloader just now at the prime age of 38 am I going to give hunting a shot.

With that said ~ What is considered Big Game would that be like Deer and Bears or is Big Game Larger than Deer.

I live in Middle Tennessee so if anyone is from the area or knows it what would be a big Game animal to hunt here that would be considered a challange?

Ok the next question is what animals are considered Varmint or small game animals and what in Middle TN would be a good one to hunt.

Thanks guys and please dont laugh me out of here I am I guess a Rookie hunter HAHA Very Happy

#2: Re: New to Hunting so Bare with me Author: GrumulkinLocation: Central Ohio PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:18 am
    ----
I would consider a big game animal any animal one would have difficulty carrying by himself, ungutted, for a mile. By my definition, that would include the likes of deer, bear and hogs. I would consider varmints any animal hunted because it was a nuisance and small game hunting that which was done to collect animals that had some value for the fur, for food, etc.

I know you have deer in Tennessee and they're certainly a challenge. I believe you can also hunt elk, hogs and black bear there. To find about the regulations, stop by and sporting goods store worthy of the name that sells hunting equipment/supplies and they should have copies from your State's department of natural resources booklet which will tell you what can be hunted and how it's to be hunted.

Tenessee Hunting

#3: Re: New to Hunting so Bare with me Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:20 am
    ----
Welcome to this fine sight. Grab a beer, pull up a stump and quit appologizing for being a beginner. We were ALL beginners at one time. Even Chambered 221...You? Get laughed at? Now that would be a change. Maybe they would leave me alone for a change. Guess that'll never happen...Make sure that's Vince's beer you grab... Very Happy

What firearms do you have? What do you reload for? And you thought you would be the only one asking the questions... Laughing

#4: Re: New to Hunting so Bare with me Author: WileyWapitiLocation: NW Colorado PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:42 pm
    ----
most, if not all states will require you to complete a hunter's education course prior to being issued licenses - I am not sure about the regulations of Tennessee, but this is a great place to start as there will be people in all age categories enrolled in the class and with various backrounds from beginner to in some cases expert. Quite a bit of information can be obtained from the course which is usually only one-two days or in a night class setting spanning one week. During the course you will learn different types of game animal classifications, down and dirty info on acceptable and legal manners of take or harvesting and also legal caliber of weapon. If you are serious about hunting, it is a good place to start. As Grumulkin mentions above, go check out the local sporting goods store or check out the states division of wildlife website or go and talk to the game warden - they will provide you a good chunk of info. Welcome to the group and we look forward to having you in the sport of hunting.

#5: Re: New to Hunting so Bare with me Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:29 pm
    ----
Magforce, I'm like you , shot and reloaded for a long time before I ever really got in to hunting. And I have thoroughly enjoyed hunting!

You've come to a good place for information, these guys are knowledgeable and happy to share. I've learned a lot here.

Check on the TN Hunter's Education courses here >> www.state.tn.us/twra/huntered.html

There are also any number of good books that can help you get started hunting. I'm guessing that the primary big game critters in your neck of the woods are whitetail deer and maybe feral hogs. Both make for great hunting.

#6: Re: New to Hunting so Bare with me Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:21 pm
    ----
I still feel like a beginner........ learning from someone as old and wise as you are!!! ROFL

Magforce, any questions about gun powder.... Bushy's the man.... He helped invent the stuff!!! Shocked

#7: Re: New to Hunting so Bare with me Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:51 am
    ----
chambered221 wrote:
I still feel like a beginner........ learning from someone as old and wise as you are!!! ROFL

Magforce, any questions about gun powder.... Bushy's the man.... He helped invent the stuff!!! Shocked

OOoooohhhhh......you are a bad man Chambered...bad, bad, baaaaad.

Haha Haha Haha Haha

Hang in there Magforce...the guys here will see you on the straight and narrow. Not sure if you have noticed, but there are plenty of ex-servicemen, and women, on here so you will be guided sensibly in the right direction mate.

Like the others said, I have always considered anything above the size of a dog to be big game and anything smaller to be varmints. Rabbits, although technically a varmint by that definition, falls quite nicely into the category of "good tucker"...well worth chowin' down on when "acquired".

Bushy summed it up mate...we were all beginners at one time or another, so don't be apologetic...a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step.

Cheers, Vince

#8: Re: New to Hunting so Bare with me Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:55 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
OOoooohhhhh......you are a bad man Chambered...bad, bad, baaaaad

Hiding

#9: Re: New to Hunting so Bare with me Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:59 am
    ----
Oh yeh...Sure Vince...He looks worried...Thanks...[right]

#10: Re: New to Hunting so Bare with me Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:37 am
    ----
scared ..............Morning Bushy!!! Wave

#11: Re: New to Hunting so Bare with me Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:41 am
    ----
Don't triffle with me...I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet... Censored

#12: Re: New to Hunting so Bare with me Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:26 pm
    ----
Maybe this can help.... scroll down:

www.state.tn.us/twra/wildlife.html

-> Big Game Hunting