Cowboy Action Shooting
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Cowboy Action Shooting Author: WileyWapitiLocation: NW Colorado PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:44 am
    ----
So I went to the range this weekend and it was closed off for a Cowboy Action Shoot - no problem, I decided to head on home for a few hours - well, I got home and decided I had nothing better to do, so I took my son with me and we went and watched....WOW - I guess I must have been living in a cave as I had thought until this weekend that it was mostly quick draw type scenarios - I watched and watched and watched some more - I think I might get pretty interested in this. So, my questions are for those of you familiar with the sport as I look into this possibility.

I would think that my best bet for SA revolvers and also a lever gun in 357 (I already have the dies) that will also shoot 38's and I have a few ideas on some possible manufacturers (ruger etc...), but my main concern is the shotgun - what are some good types that won't break the bank and what type would fall into the SASS requirements? Dbl Barrel or Pump?

Just starting out, what should I expect to spend - I don't want to go bare bones cheap bottom of the barrel, but I cannot afford to go high-end either - would like to keep it to $2,000 for all 4 guns - any thoughts? I could build my own cart and gather leather over time - not too concerned over that right now.

Any do's or don'ts I should keep in mind as I research this?

#2: Re: Cowboy Action Shooting Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:33 pm
    ----
www.sassnet.com/Downlo...ok(15).pdf

www.sassnet.com/

They do a shoot at a couple places near me and man, is it something!
There's a couple diff org's that I've seen if I remember correctly.
All kinda shootin' going on!

#3: Re: Cowboy Action Shooting Author: Cherokee_JonLocation: PA PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:34 pm
    ----
The Stoeger SxS shotguns are a good choice to start out with. You will have to find a gunsmith familiar with working CAS guns . The chambers will have to polished and the break open action will need work because is does not enough to "shuck" the shells out. The Win. 1897 pump shotgun is your other main choice. Currently the Chinese made and originals. The originals are $600 to $900. The Chinese are about $500 and have some week parts that can be replaced with original Win. parts . There are other options, but these are the most common.

#4: Re: Cowboy Action Shooting Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:45 pm
    ----
Have met guys at pistol shoots that have been bit hard by the SASS bug!!!
Seems to be a true family event the way they run their shoots.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

#5: Re: Cowboy Action Shooting Author: WileyWapitiLocation: NW Colorado PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:10 pm
    ----
I have looked at the Stoeger shotguns - they seem reasonable price wise and they fit the bill.

#6: Re: Cowboy Action Shooting Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:20 pm
    ----
When I was shooting CAS I used Ruger Vaqueros and a Marlin 1894 Cowboy, all in .45 Colt. I also used an old Rossi Overland double barrel 12 ga w/ rabbit ears. If I was starting from scratch I think I'd do as you mentioned, use .357 Mag handguns (my pick would be the New Vaquero) and rifle (Marlin again) with a 20 ga shotgun (I don't know which one). One thing I noticed at matches was that Rugers never broke, while Colts and clones did. Personally I'd use loaded down .357 cartridges instead of .38 Specials.

I stopped shooting CAS because the powers-that-be at work can't plan a schedule and I am always having to work weekends with little notice. When I do get a weekend off I try to spend it with the family.

#7: Re: Cowboy Action Shooting Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:47 pm
    ----
Very interesting info. I will have to look into this, it looks like it could be a lot of fun. I wonder if there is anything up here in Minnesota.

#8: Re: Cowboy Action Shooting Author: WileyWapitiLocation: NW Colorado PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:47 am
    ----
Pumpkinslinger - why a 20ga as opposed to a 12ga? Other than dove and pheasant hunting in my teens and early 20's, never been much of a shotgun efficianado.

#9: Re: Cowboy Action Shooting Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:50 am
    ----
Wiley, simply less recoil so quicker second shot. You got me wondering how true my thinking was so I picked a couple of target loads from Federal's website and plugged them in to PointBlank to calculate the recoil energy. The 12 ga load produces about 17 ftlbs while the 20 ga was about 14 ftlbs.

In my experience the shotgun targets in CAS matches are pretty easy to knock over so why beat yourself up with more shell than you need? I don't think a .410 would reliably knock over the steel targets but I haven't tried one either.

#10: Re: Cowboy Action Shooting Author: whittlingLocation: Texas (home state is Mass) PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:03 pm
    ----
Can you find any old 1890s shotguns? My brother own a original 12 Ga.1892 Remington double that was used by Wells and Fargo that shoot modern loads and cost only $250 .Check gun shows and used gun shops -might get lucky.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions