The Biggest Fox Squirrel
-> Small Game Hunting

#1: The Biggest Fox Squirrel Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 pm
    ----
Have any of you guys ever see a Melanistic fox squirrel? I have about 4 family units that live on the farm. They are incredible animals to watch and absolutely gorgeous. They bound through the woods with glistening white heads and shiny jet-black bodies with big flowing tails. For a squirrel, they look more like a bushy tail cat; about 2 1/2 feet long and weigh about 3 pounds. I call them Mr. Bushy Tail. Very Happy

I have only seen one individual since last winter, but when the pecan trees start to drop pecans, they will be on parade once again. Maybe I can get a decent picture of a family group for you. 9 times out of ten you only see one at a time.

Cannot molest them as they are now on the federal endangered species list and only occur with any numbers in South Alabama and north Florida. The Melanistic or black are the largest squirrel in the Americas.
Best,
Ed

#2: Re: The Biggest Fox Squirrel Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:25 pm
    ----
I'd love to see a picture of that! Many years back I shot a white "gray" squirrel with black eyes and a very few black hairs down its spine. I had it in the freezer waiting to save up some money to have it mounted. My then new wife decided to clean out the freezer one day... Needless to say, I never got to have it mounted.

Last edited by Pumpkinslinger on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: The Biggest Fox Squirrel Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:55 pm
    ----
I’ve seen a few Black Squirrels before.......... none with a white head !!! wtf

#4: Re: The Biggest Fox Squirrel Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:33 pm
    ----
Is this the little bugger Swampy?

Fox Squirrel

Cheers, Vince

#5: Re: The Biggest Fox Squirrel Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:13 am
    ----
Vince,
The one in the picture is similar, but not jet black and has the more charastic white muzzle. The ones on the farm have white heads from behind the ears, about mid way on the neck, to the nose. One has one black and one white ear.

They are of cf course big for a squirrel, but what makes them very different is the way they run, they actually bound, reminds me of a wave on water. They are also really something in their ability to hide in a pecan tree when that tree has no leaves.

The one I saw on the east fence line last winter was a shock. I was bushogging the fence line, looking at the ground ahead of the tractor, when I glanced up to see a real large one sitting on its haunches on top of a big pine stump just sitting there watching me. He let me get pretty close before he ran off into the big pine trees on top of the hill. I have about a 10 acre hill on the place that I do not go on with the tractor. That hill I left alone and it is where the turkeys and fox squirrels live. The old pond is at the bottom of that hill on one side and the range is on the other side, planted with brown top millet and sorgum. There are 6 pecan trees and a small stand of white oaks between the range and pond, which all in all keeps the critters well fed.

30 years ago I used to hunt the fox squirrels, but today they are just to pretty to shoot, especially when we have greys around by the bucket fulls.
Best,
Ed

-> Small Game Hunting