Kar98a from WWI
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Kar98a from WWI Author: Joe BoleoLocation: Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:06 am
    ----
I stopped at the local gunsmith shop to pick up a shotgun barrel that just got choke tubes installed. The 'smith asked me to identify a customer's rifle. It was an all matching German Kar98a carbine from WWI in excellent condition. The owner wanted to sell it and was interested in learning a fair price. The rifle was all military except for the Weaver bases sitting atop the receiver. I asked to examine the bore which exhibited signs of corrosive ammo use and without proper cleaning. I told him it lacked collector interest and needed a new barrel. The gunsmith agreed with me. The owner asked for an approximate value and I told him it depended on what someone was willing to pay. I also told him that without the scope bases and bad bore, it would be worth a lot more. Take care...
Joe

#2: Re: Kar98a from WWI Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:11 am
    ----
What a shame. That is a fine classic rifle that is now just a shooter. All the best...
Gil

#3: Re: Kar98a from WWI Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:18 pm
    ----
I saw an M1941 Johnson rifle today that was all intact exept that some one had mounted a Weaver base and cheap scope on it!! I coulda cried.

#4: Re: Kar98a from WWI Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:30 pm
    ----
Pumpkinslinger,
If I saw that 1941 Johnson, I would have cried. What were they thinking? All the best...
Gil

#5: Re: Kar98a from WWI Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:40 am
    ----
You can get cherry one's from Mitchell's for under $400.

#6: Re: Kar98a from WWI Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:22 pm
    ----
stovepipe,
I looked on Mitchell's Mausers and attached their link. They do not offer Kar98a rifles from WWI. All the best...
Gil

www.mauser.org/rifles/.../index.htm

#7: Re: Kar98a from WWI Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:20 am
    ----
Copy that, wrong model, my apologies.

#8: Re: Kar98a from WWI Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:36 pm
    ----
stovepipe,
No problem. All the best...
Gil

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions