I need your opinions
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#166: Re: I need your opinions Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:09 pm
    ----
Would I be correct in assuming it was a 70 or 80 series Colt??? (I'm not very knowledgeable in military firearms history)

#167: Re: I need your opinions Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:21 pm
    ----
I don't remember the series but the butt number was lucky 13. Now you got my mind going and I'm gonna have to remember the serial number.

#168: Re: I need your opinions Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:28 pm
    ----
80 series had the firing pin block with other pieces and parts!!! (It was a Colt........ right???)

#169: Re: I need your opinions Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:49 pm
    ----
Yes it was a Colt. I am pretty sure it was an 80 series, When we were on the way back from Desert Storm they got turned in to be replaced by the Beretta M9, boy did we take a step backwards that day.

#170: Re: I need your opinions Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:32 am
    ----
The above 2 are the official issued M1911's with the same sights as the bottom one which is the SAI GI model. Either way the SAI GI model has the proper GI sights as those pictures show.

The Marine MEU pistol is different however, but they were limited issue to the USMC Marine Expeditionary Units only.

Quote::

The revised parts list included barrels, bushings, link pins, sear springs, ejectors, firing pin stops, mainspring housings and mainsprings, all from Nowlin Manufacturing. Slides were ordered from Springfield Armory, with front sight pins, beavertail safeties and recoil spring guides came from Ed Brown. Novak was contracted for rear sights, Wilson Combat provided extractors and mag release buttons, while King's Gun Works supplied ambidextrous thumb safeties.

There may be other modifications and commercial pistols that were limited issued, but the 2 in my picture are the vast majority of pistols in the US Arsenal system.

Currently if you want a "issued" pistol that is not of the type of the standard M1911A1's in the armory system since 1945 (when the last ones were produced) your 2 best choices are the Kimber Desert Warrior (ICQB per the USMC name) or the Springfield Armory Custom Pro models (limited issued of 150 pistols as far as I know). As that is the only new commercial M1911's that have entered the supply system of the US military due to the USMC's requirements for its MEU(SOC) and MCSOCOM Det-1 units.

Dimitri

#171: Re: I need your opinions Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:38 am
    ----
Looks just like my Series 80 Colt when it was new except for the factory ported and cut ejection port and the longer beaver tail. And the top photo is of the ones we had aboard ship when I was serving from 1964 to 1986. In fact I qualified (Expert) with a Remington-Rand typewriter .45 ACP in 1984... Laughing

#172: Re: I need your opinions Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:24 am
    ----
chambered221 wrote:
:poke:

Kindly DO NOT upset the man with the BFR. Wink

Mr. Bush: bet ya wish ya still had that Remmy now, yes? Very Happy

#173: Re: I need your opinions Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:10 am
    ----
That’s soooo kind of you Mr. Nail polish...............sticking up for Mf. BFR like that !!! Poke

#174: Re: I need your opinions Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:17 am
    ----
It would have been nice to have owned, but it belonged to the USS Pledge's armory and the U.S. Navy.

#175: Re: I need your opinions Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:24 am
    ----
221:
Quote::
That’s soooo kind of you Mr. Nail polish...............sticking up for Mf. BFR like that !!!

Laughing ...you a foony guy.

wiersy111 wrote:
I'm looking at purchasing another pistol, probably a 1911 or that style. I like the feel and looks of the Spriingfield's. But since Tarus bought Beretta's pistols I also like the feel of the Model 100 since it is the same pistol I have been shooting in the Army for years. The Tarus 1911 is also a nice gun. I am not sure I want to go all the way to a Kimber since this is just a fun gun. There are lots of 1911's out there making it a very hard choice. I was thinking 45 but the Model 100 only comes in 9mm or 40. Your input will help me alot. Confused Confused

Staying w/ the 1911 platform, here's another option and I'm pretty horny for one of these too....

Para 1911- 9MM rated for +P. Holds 13 (non-Ca, Ca. holds 10)...wicked little shooter and I really like this one. (yet another nail in the coffin of my savings and mortgage)

#176: Re: I need your opinions Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:25 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
It would have been nice to have owned, but it belonged to the USS Pledge's armory and the U.S. Navy.

Copy that...they is kinda stingy like that.

Neat gun though and I've never seen one before.

#177: Re: I need your opinions Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:13 pm
    ----
That little Hawg is cute but to small for my big meat hooks.

D...You can quote me all the statistics and hoohaa you want, I do know our 1911's had different sights. We were considered a "forward deployed unit" so when new stuff came out we were on the top of the list for issue. We got to do testing of equipment for the govt they even had dept of defense engineers come out and study the modifications we made to our Bradleys ultimately resulting in M2A2 ODS models.

#178: Re: I need your opinions Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:30 pm
    ----
That Hawg 9.........Well...........it’s a 9mm !!! Thumbs Down Gonna carry a 1911 carry a real 1911 !!!

#179: Re: I need your opinions Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:02 pm
    ----
I do prefer a .45

#180: Re: I need your opinions Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:50 pm
    ----
If I have a choice of 8 rounds of .45 or 16 rounds of 9mm, I'll take the 9mm. With quality hollow points I don't think there is much separating them performance wise. Personally I prefer the .40 S&W to both. (Now that ought to start a "discussion"...)

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions