p-dogs
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: p-dogs Author: jd81173 PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:50 pm
    ----
anyone know where to shoot p-dogs in or near california????? help please
thanks

#2: Re: p-dogs Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:59 pm
    ----
If you visit Eagleville/Cedarville, you will find many receptive farmers and ranchers that welcome help in reducing the Belden squirrel population. Check with the Chamber of Commerce; there used to be an annual "Squirrel Wars" event that catered to varmint shooters. They even offered a "1,000 in One Day" T-Shirt! Also, check with the NFS office in Cedarville for updates. They have been very helpful in contacting some of the locals that need and welcome help.

Likewise, N of Alturas on the road to Lakeview, I have contacted several crop growers and been welcomed to irradicate Beldens. While smaller than prairie dogs, they are far more plentiful and provide plenty of targets.

#3: Re: p-dogs Author: skb2706 PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:45 am
    ----
It takes a lot of groundwork and often a few years to find really good places. I have excellent places to shoot pds. We consider the best spots like a gold mine....I wouldn't give away my directions to that gold mine. Not to a newbie with 3 posts.

#4: Re: p-dogs Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:28 pm
    ----
Valid point, skb2706, but since you have only 233 posts, I'll have to discount your opinion. lol smiling

Here's the great thing about NE California -- we could take the entire forum and a bizzilion rounds and not make a dent in the Belden population.

#5: Re: p-dogs Author: jd81173 PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 am
    ----
handloader thanks for the info.

#6: Re: p-dogs Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:59 am
    ----
How far West must one go to get into prime P-dogging country ???
I’d love to take a vacation just to send some lead a flying at them little critters !!!

#7: Re: p-dogs Author: skb2706 PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:17 am
    ----
Handloader wrote:
Valid point, skb2706, but since you have only 233 posts, I'll have to discount your opinion. lol smiling

Here's the great thing about NE California -- we could take the entire forum and a bizzilion rounds and not make a dent in the Belden population.

The point remains valid considering the 12,000 plus acres of prime private farm land I have to shoot on and thousands of acres of prairie dogs mixed into that. I got 'em....he don't. He's looking, I don't have to.

That might possibly be the only great thing about CA.

#8: Re: p-dogs Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:16 am
    ----
Chambered 221,

If you go to AZ the area west of Seligman (on Route 66) has some p-dogs. Nothing like areas of SD or WY, but you can have a good time. and it will be a little warm during the day, around 90 so bring some shade if camping or stay in a motel in Seligman or Kingman.

-> Varmint Hunting