Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#16: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: Pitt55Location: Prince George, B.C. PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:27 pm
    ----
I don't know how far north you plan to go, but here in western canada deer can weigh 400#. I use 180gr. nosler accubond with H4350, which is also temperature stable. This load is good moose medicine as well.
Don

#17: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:29 am
    ----
Yes Pitt, Deer can get pretty big. But just like your deer your moose are also bigger then ours.

One moose and you fill 5 freezers there. Laughing

Dimitri

#18: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: whittlingLocation: Texas (home state is Mass) PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:42 am
    ----
Well ,in biology books state that the deer are smaller near the equator.Of course any hunter know that .

#19: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:55 am
    ----
They have to be smaller...There's less gravity and it's spinning faster at the equator then at the poles...

#20: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:28 am
    ----
They may be bigger but they don't have any armor plating or plywood skin. The same bullets will work just fine.

#21: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: Pitt55Location: Prince George, B.C. PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:14 pm
    ----
Didn't say they were armor plated. I just meant with an animal that size I like the extra punch the heavier bullet has. To each his own!
Don

#22: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:38 pm
    ----
I'm with ya on that one. There are guys that thinks they need to use elephant loads, you probably know one or two.

#23: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:28 am
    ----
Any of the traditional rounds have worked well, and I hate to say it but even lead cast bullets and ball have probably put more deer down then any one type of premium bullet.

Currently the only hunting ammunition I have in my safe (other then the 2 boxes of 8mm Mauser Norma I got) is a box of Federal's 165gr Sierra Game King ammunition.

Dimitri

#24: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:14 am
    ----
Whitetails (along with other animals) tend to follow Bergman's rule, which states in part that "races from cooler climates tend to be larger in species than races of the same species living in warmer climates." In other words, the farther north one goes, the larger one can expect to find certain animals. This is interpreted to indicate that larger animals produce and conserve body heat better while smaller ones dissipate heat more efficiently.

#25: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:32 am
    ----
I sure dissipated heat better when I was skinnier...

I didn’t know that Ingrid Bergman was in to deer hunting…

#26: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:01 pm
    ----
Ya know Pumpkin that's a damn good point. Of course by the Ingrid rule I bet I'm fatter then you are. I sure winter well here in Minnesota.

#27: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:59 am
    ----
Uhhhh...that would be Christian Bergman. Boy are you guys showing your age! I would bet that half the people on this forum don't even know who Ingrid Bergman is.

#28: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:30 am
    ----
Ingrid? Bergman? Must be before my time...

#29: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: d_hoffmanLocation: Chillicothe, Ohio PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:07 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Ingrid? Bergman? Must be before my time...

That would be impossible Bushy, nothing is before your time. Laughing Poke

#30: Re: Hunting white tail with 30.06 -- Bullet recommendations? Author: d_hoffmanLocation: Chillicothe, Ohio PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:27 am
    ----
I know a girl in Michigan that one-shot kills a deer every year with a .223. Even moose, like 'Mitri mentioned, a well placed shot from either a .270, .280, '06 or 7 mag will take them down.

Bushy is right about the use of a .22 by poachers. Put one behind the ear and they drop like a ton of bricks.

-> Reloading Ammunition