Questions on Pointblank?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> PointBlank Software

#1: Questions on Pointblank? Author: SharpShooter14 PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:40 pm
    ----
I have been reloading for about a year now and i took a look at the pointblank program and i was a little confused on how it woked. Just wondering if anybody could explian some things about the program.

#2: Re: Questions on Pointblank? Author: popgunLocation: Mitchell, GA, U.S.A. (2007 pop. 191) PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:55 pm
    ----
Hey SS14, You forgot your questions???
It is similar to point and click except in point blank it is fill in the blanks.
Fire off your specific questions and we can go from there.

#3: Re: Questions on Pointblank? Author: rcted PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:04 pm
    ----
I've been trying to use Point Blank for several weeks. My problem is that I can save loads to text, but I haven't been able to save them to the data base so I can recall them later. How can I do that?

#4: Re: Questions on Pointblank? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:50 pm
    ----
rcted wrote:
I've been trying to use Point Blank for several weeks. My problem is that I can save loads to text, but I haven't been able to save them to the data base so I can recall them later. How can I do that?

Which version are you refering to? 1.8a or 2.0 beta?

-DallanC

#5: Re: Questions on Pointblank? Author: acelungger PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:47 am
    ----
I can't get it to work any, I get a pop up saying that the beta version is out of date. What am I doing wrong?
AL

#6: Re: Questions on Pointblank? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:17 pm
    ----
Sorry guys, I got overly busy this weekend and didnt get it updated before it expired. I will update the program later today and your patcher will auto-download it when its available.

Sorry for the inconvience.

-DallanC

#7: Re: Questions on Pointblank? Author: kneebone PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:56 am
    ----
I tried to load version 2.0 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine but when I run PBPatcher.exe it tells me Point Blank is running and terminates. I downloaded the zip file, but when I run PointBlank.exe it tells me there is a new version and to run PBPatcher.exe...and that fails as noted. What am I doing wrong? I'm new at this.

#8: Re: Questions on Pointblank? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:57 am
    ----
Close all versions of PointBlank, then run the PBPatcher.exe again. You can verify there are no running versions of PointBlank by bringing up your task manager (hold Control and Alt keys, then press Delete. Then select Start Task Manager), open the processes tab and look for PointBlank, if there is one running select and click End Process.

Let me know if this works or not. I've not seen this problem reported in the past and the current version works fine on 3 Win7-64 bit machines I test on.

-DallanC

#9: Re: Questions on Pointblank? Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:05 pm
    ----
Dallan

Might there be a problem with u.a.c., i run one windows 7 laptop for the sake of compatibility and I had to right click on the .exe of the folder and change permissions to run on win 7 64 bit.

#10: Re: Questions on Pointblank? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:49 pm
    ----
When the patcher first starts up, it attempts to open PointBlank.exe in write mode so it can be updated. If its unable to open the file, the patcher exits.

So the question is why can it not open PointBlank.exe for writting? Its either because its being run at the time, or possibly it has the read-only flag set in the file properties.

-DallanC

#11: Re: Questions on Pointblank? Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:50 pm
    ----
Exactly, getting closer to uac permissions, the user needs to right click on the point blank folder, then each file (folder) needs to be checked for permissions, if any file does NOT have admin or user (in the admin group) rights, it will not run. It will pop up a windows command box (black screen) and disappear.

The best way to make it run under win 7 64 bit, is to go to the folder of pointblank and right click on the folder, choose properties, then choose the security tab, click on it then you will see a user box that you can add your name to the administrator permissions to that file or folder.

#12: Re: Questions on Pointblank? Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:02 pm
    ----
The reason for this is windows 7 finally started getting its %$#@ together regarding programs running amok. That was one of the main reasons windows is so vulnerable to malware, virus..ect, everybody had admin access to the operating system and the bad guys took advantage of it big time.

#13: Re: Questions on Pointblank? Author: kneebone PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:52 pm
    ----
Bingo! I've been shooting trap since I posted my plea for help, so couldn't try your guidance until now. I tried Dallan's advice first, but after closing Point Blank using the Task Manager, it still would not run. So I followed Ominvision1's "the best way...." and it worked. I gave all files Administrator permission, clicked PBPatcher.exe, it downloaded files and is now running. Many thanks to both of you for such fast, specific guidance. I've used v. 1.8 for some time, love it, and look forward to bigger and better things with v. 2.0.

#14: Re: Questions on Pointblank? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:15 am
    ----
Awesome it got figured out. I will update the instructions to include the admin priviledges.

I believe when I installed my copies of Win7, I defaulted everything to just run in admin mode, so I never saw these issues.

-DallanC

#15: Re: Questions on Pointblank? Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:33 pm
    ----
Dallan

Just a thought, make your .EXE files executable only with admin privileges, the rest of the files do not need to have admin privileges but just read/write only since they are xml files and txt files.

-> PointBlank Software