Remington 798 Safari .375
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Remington 798 Safari .375 Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:19 am
    ----
Just received a 798 Safari .375 H&H I got off of gunbroker. These Zastava mausers have just been discontinued by Remington, I heard that EAA is picking up the line for import. I did not see an actual picture before buying and was pleasantly surprised with the wood on this stock. It has very nice grain. It is what Remington calls "realwood", basically a walnut blank split lengthwise with a maple center strip laminated in. It is claimed that it makes the stock stronger and resistant to warpage with the looks of walnut. I was not too sure about it, but it actually looks OK with the maple grip cap and forend tip. The blue is outstanding on this rifle, a deep highly polished blue that is seldom seen anymore. The only complaints so far is the nonstandard front sight dovetail (it is not 3/8, makes sight replacement problematic) and the fact that the action was a little rough upon receiving it. This seems to be the standard for the Zastavas. I applied masking tape to the bolt handle to prevent blue wear and cycled the action a few hundred times over the course of a couple days, it has smoothed up nicely. If anyone is looking for a controlled round feed .375 H&H or a .458 Win Mag, check these rifles out. They can still be found on Gunbroker NIB.

#2: Re: Remington 798 Safari .375 Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:08 am
    ----
Very nice pictures. Let us know how it shoots. Thanks for sharing. All the best...
Gil

#3: Re: Remington 798 Safari .375 Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:14 am
    ----
Sweet rifle beautiful wood and the .375 will definitely take care of businesses. Looks like you did good Very Happy

Joe

#4: Re: Remington 798 Safari .375 Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:37 pm
    ----
I had a .375 and reloaded for it, that is a very versatile cartridge. The 250 sierra is a wonderful all around bullet in it. Hope you enjoy it. If you want those loads give me a shout back. Otherwise I'll let you have all the fun of exploring that awesome cartridge.

#5: Re: Remington 798 Safari .375 Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:02 pm
    ----
Thanks fnuser, I am going to handload for it. I have some 300 grain Hornady DGX bullets on order, and plan on using RL15 as I have plenty of this propellant on hand.

#6: Re: Remington 798 Safari .375 Author: whittlingLocation: Texas (home state is Mass) PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:06 am
    ----
Beautiful rifle . That ought to be a accurate ,gun,too.

#7: Re: Remington 798 Safari .375 Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:42 am
    ----
Hey Roky...that is a very nice looking rifle mate.

As you said, the grain in the walnut is very nice. I rather like the look of the Maple "stringer"...I think it actually adds to the look of the stock.

As Gil said mate...let us know how it performs.

Cheers, Vince

#8: Re: Remington 798 Safari .375 Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:21 pm
    ----
I am still waiting on the components to load for this rifle, as well as a 2-7 Leupold and Warne quick detach mounts I have ordered. I did get to shoot it last night though, a friend gave me a few 300 grain solids to try it out. I shot it twice, at 50 yards from a kneeling position the two shots were touching. I believe it will be an accurate rifle.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions