I hate calling coyotes…
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: I hate calling coyotes… Author: coyotehunter_1Location: Tennessee (USA) PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:54 pm
    ----
in the wind that is! Laughing
Yesterday was one of those days. The plan was to call a co-workers farm. I was planning on being on site and set up thirty minutes before daybreak. My day started at 5:30 am. With time to spare, I stopped by a local restaurant for breakfast. The morning looked promising, cloudy and little wind. By 6:30 the wind started picking up. After breakfast I was setting in the parking lot trying to decide if I would be wasting my time. The wind kept getting stronger. Trees started swaying back and forth, at least a 25 mph wind. I decided to postpone the session until later on in the evening. Around noon I called the owner to tell him I would be up later. He said he had been replacing boards on his wooden deck. The wind was bad there too but every time he started his power saw coyotes would howl in a nearby hollow. That did it for me, wind or no wind I was going out. Got to the farm about 2:30. It’s dangerous to be in the woods here during a heavy wind, due in part to our beetle killed southern pines. As I got close to the woods I could hear tree branches snapping. The edge of a cow pasture would have to do. The cattle had cleared the leaves and small brush from a wooded area nearby, enough that I could see 100 yards or so into the deep woods. Anything crossing the open area could be seen but calling was going to be tough. I set up in a grown up fence line, over looking the site. As the day wore on wind gusts varied from hurricane to gale force, not good. I may have called in several coyotes yesterday but none were seen. I did hear what sounded like two young coyotes yelping but it was hard to tell in the wind. The highlight of the day: several flocks of crows and a large raccoon came to my hand call. Six or eight turkeys also came into the clearing. They milled about eating fresh fallen acorns, loosened from the big oaks. I set and watched, hoping their feeding would draw a coyote or two. No go! Right at dusk the turkeys decided to call it a day. They flew one by one into nearby hemlocks to roost for the night. Those coyotes are still there, waiting for a rematch. I’ll be back! Laughing

#2: Re: I hate calling coyotes… Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:08 pm
    ----
Persistence will pay off, always. A good story, sir.

FWIW I returned about an hour ago from a two day calling trip and, like you, we had wind to contend with, although, only 10 to 15mph. But, it was constant. With conditions like this we often use a dual reed jackrabbit call. It takes a little more wind to use this call, but, the extra volume often works better than single reeds when the wind is ahowling.

Two days, fourteen stands, five coyotes downed, one got away, one fox downed at 14 paces! Not the best results, but, this trip allowed us to explore some extraordinary country and a good time was had by all.

#3: Re: I hate calling coyotes… Author: coyotehunter_1Location: Tennessee (USA) PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:50 pm
    ----
Handloader,
Good hunting, Sir!

Your 100% correct about being persistent. I learned many years ago you have to be. You are certainly lucky to live near such a fur rich environment.

#4: Re: I hate calling coyotes… Author: SHOOTER458 PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:21 pm
    ----
Try calling cross wind and watch for dogd circling down wind!

#5: Re: I hate calling coyotes… Author: coyotehunter_1Location: Tennessee (USA) PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:36 pm
    ----
SHOOTER458,

Welcome to Hunting Nut, thanks for the tip. Smile

-> Varmint Hunting