Home Butchering of wild game
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: Home Butchering of wild game Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:44 am
    ----
Hey guys, Very Happy

I am pretty good at field dressing and skinning on all game, but what I am really bad at is the second stage. Embarassed

Cutting roasts, steak, etc, etc.

I have been using a local processor and he is good on deer, but due to state regulations he cannot have a wild pig on his premises, and can't help me.

Anyway I want to become much more proficient in butchering all large game including hog, and bear.

What I am looking for are websites (I've looked and haven't found one yet), books, or video's that describe the process in detail, and if anybody knows someone here will.

Thanks

#2: Re: Home Butchering of wild game Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:28 pm
    ----
Here's some links for some info and there's some videos on youtube
Very Happy
www.biggamehunt.net/se...20412.html

www.homedeerprocessing.com/

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzYGBNDc_xU

#3: Re: Home Butchering of wild game Author: RPM1031Location: College Park, Georgia PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:48 pm
    ----
www.lemproducts.com/
They have supplies, dvds and books on processing.

www.sausagemaker.com/
This site has some good resources including LEMS dvds on deer processing. The book Basic Butchering of Livestock and Game is good to have.

I haven't done much butchering so I'm no expert. The deer I deboned and the hog I had had been quartered. I cut it into some smaller pieces and grilled them (no chops, etc.). It was great.

I've got a couple of acres lots in Batesburg, Saluda County across the street from Lake Murray.

#4: Re: Home Butchering of wild game Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:04 pm
    ----
Les, duh... Just kick me when you see me next time! I have this book on my shelf, just forgot about it. "Basic Butchering of Livestock and Game" by John J. Mettler, Jr., D.M.V. Illustrated and step-by-step instructions.

#5: Re: Home Butchering of wild game Author: pth1947Location: southern Arkansas PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:45 am
    ----
Have you tried the Cooperative Extension Office in your county?
They have information about canning and putting up food and it is free!
All most any thing you need to know about canning' cooking, and growing crops.

#6: Re: Home Butchering of wild game Author: RPM1031Location: College Park, Georgia PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:56 am
    ----
PSlinger, It is a good book. I haven't looked at it in a few years, now I can't find it! Bonk Mad Bonk I went to look up info on hogs for les and it's not where it should be. If I loaned it out, it's long gone. It would be worth getting it again if I don't find it. I think it's only $15 + shipping.

Another book that is real helpful is Dressing & Cooking Wild Game from THE HUNTING & FISHING LIBRARY. It's a small, well illustrated book that covers field dressing, butchering, and recipes for deer size animals, fowl, rabbits, and squirrel. It also uses a photo of a dressed deer to diagram where the different cuts of meat come from along with what they are used for. It's been republished and available from Bass Pro under the new name for the company, The Complete Hunter, for $22. I saw used copies $10-$15 on Amazon. Where ever I saw it, it had 4 1/2 to 5 star ratings.

Good luck.
Bob

#7: Re: Home Butchering of wild game Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:22 pm
    ----
I have these two on the way;

Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game by John J. Mettler, and

Dressing & Cooking Wild Game: From Field to Table: Big Game, Small Game, Upland Birds & Waterfowl (The Complete Hunter) by Editors of creative Publishing.

Thanks for all the web sites they are all helpful in one way or another.

As for the Extension service, they were helpful when I was planting my food plots, did the soil analysis for me, $6.00, but they have nothing on butchering.

Thanks again guys, as always you have been great.

#8: Re: Home Butchering of wild game Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:27 pm
    ----
I would LOVE to put together a "how to" guide to home butchering... but I'm too embarassed to show how I do it LOL

I might pick up one of the above books though, I'm sure there is alot I could learn.

-DallanC

#9: Re: Home Butchering of wild game Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:02 pm
    ----
Sounds like a good project to me, but let see what the books are like before I get started.

#10: Re: Home Butchering of wild game Author: RPM1031Location: College Park, Georgia PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:24 pm
    ----
Hope you like them. They're good books. The way I look at butchering my own game is I'm the one eating it so it doesn't need to look like something in a butcher's display case.

#11: Re: Home Butchering of wild game Author: RPM1031Location: College Park, Georgia PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:40 pm
    ----
Dallan, I'm sure you do a fine job judging from everything I've seen here on the site. So long has you get the job done to your satisfaction what else matters?

I've picked up a few videos and books on butchering and sausage making. To me it's like anything you want to do, it's always good to have a few sources to pick from and compare.

#12: Re: Home Butchering of wild game Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:33 am
    ----
Here's another one to add to Joe's list.

www.newjerseyhunter.co...rfield.wmv

Cheers, Vince

#13: Re: Home Butchering of wild game Author: RPM1031Location: College Park, Georgia PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:51 am
    ----
Vince, that's a good clip.
Figures a guy from Australia puts me onto a site run by someone 30-40 minutes from me.
Gotta love it.

#14: Re: Home Butchering of wild game Author: RPM1031Location: College Park, Georgia PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:45 pm
    ----
les, Did you get the books yet? Was wondering what you think of them.

#15: Re: Home Butchering of wild game Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:19 am
    ----
Yes I have received both books and Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game by John J. Mettler, is by far much better for butchering than Dressing & Cooking Wild Game.

It has much more detail and information on cuts of meat and covers more types of wildlife than the other, but the other has better looking recipes.

For me, I have plenty of recipes, but the Mettler book answered most of my questions about butchering, I rate it a buy.

I think with it's help I could actually get some recognizable chops off my next hog, and venison is much easier.

-> Big Game Hunting