inherited rifle
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: inherited rifle Author: ernieLocation: Toronto PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:26 pm
    ----
New to the site. I live in Ontario. One of my relatives inherited a shot gun and a winchester rifle. He has no license and guns are not registered either. Now he wants to sell them. What can he do??? Can he just sell them to someone with a PAL???? Can thee buyer buy them even if they are not registered?????
Thanks. I really need an answer.

#2: Re: inherited rifle Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:35 pm
    ----
Welcome to the HuntingNut ernie Howdy . We have a few members from Canada, I'm sure Dimitri will be along and he can give ya some advice.
Joe

#3: Welcome to the Forum Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:43 pm
    ----
I am unfamiliar with Canadian firearms laws. If I could, I would get hold of them and keep quiet. We have a saying here in Schnecksville; shoot, shovel and shut up. All the best...
Gil

#4: Re: inherited rifle Author: ernieLocation: Toronto PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:52 pm
    ----
Thanks for your prompt response, shrpshtrjoe. I really appreciated it. Thanks.

#5: Re: inherited rifle Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:02 pm
    ----
There is a amesty right now so he can sell them to a PAL Owner to get rid of them and the new owner can register them.

But better question is why don't you get your PAL and take them off his hands? Very Happy

Dimitri

#6: Re: inherited rifle Author: ernieLocation: Toronto PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:28 am
    ----
Thanks, Dimitri. Appriciate. I do have a PAL. I think maybe I should buy them off him. Thanks.

#7: Re: inherited rifle Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:19 am
    ----
Ernie,

The Amesty is good up until May 16 so you should be good to go in that case. Smile

And glad to hear you have a PAL.

Dimitri

#8: Re: inherited rifle Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:03 am
    ----
Welcome aboard Ernie!! I think 'Mitri is giving you some daggone good advise!!!!!! Go for it!!

#9: Re: inherited rifle Author: OBOneLocation: Near Pensacola, Fl. PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:18 am
    ----
What's a PAL ?

#10: Re: inherited rifle Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:23 am
    ----
Welcome aboard,OBOne! One of our Canadian friends will inform you, I am sure!!

#11: Re: inherited rifle Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 am
    ----
I bet it's like the FOID in illinois...

#12: Re: inherited rifle Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:03 am
    ----
I bet you are right , Bushy, and it will be interesting to find out!!
We are elebrating 45 years of marriage today, so have to take my good wife out and enjoy the day!!! Very Happy Very Happy

#13: Re: inherited rifle Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:31 am
    ----
Congrats on 45 years...I've been married 40 years to two women...

#14: Re: inherited rifle Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:31 pm
    ----
Thanks, Bushy! I have found that 1 is sometimes toooooooooo much!!!! Let me hasten to ad that I have a wonderful wife, but you know the drill!!!

#15: Re: inherited rifle Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:38 pm
    ----
PAL = Possession and Acquisition License.

Basically it allows you to own and buy firearms and ammunition in Canada.

I must admit I like the idea of it, I just don't like the registration part of the law. If you have a license you should be able to buy and sell any amount of firearms as you please.

A PAL means that your criminal background is clean, that you passed a SAFETY course (not really a "firearms" course) so you'll hopefully know the answers to many stupid ideas before they cross your mind. And that you have at least a few friends/family who think your sane enough to own guns.

Dimitri

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions