No New Calibers For Me!
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: No New Calibers For Me! Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:18 pm
    ----
I've pretty much decided that if I buy any other, or maybe I should say when I buy another rifle or handgun, it will have to be in a caliber that I already load for. I decided this after looking around at the availability of cases or more to the point the unavailability. Just left Midway, Graf's and Midsouth sites and none of them had one case available for the .357 mag. I find that unbelievable and even a little scary. I have to wonder if things will ever be the same again?
Don

#2: Re: No New Calibers For Me! Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:46 pm
    ----
Surely that's a reason to have MORE calibers to load for.

Suppliers are unlikely to be out of ALL of them at once. Very Happy

Top Brass appears to have .357 cases in stock, though shipping is slow due to demand: www.scharch.com/products.php?cat=20

#3: Re: No New Calibers For Me! Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:43 am
    ----
Mike,
I checked the link you posted for top brass and this is their message:
Top Brass Means Tighter Tolerances! Our 357 Mag is currently on backorder
Luckily I've been stocking up for quite some time and probably have enough for two lifetimes if I use it conservatively, but I had gotten into the habit of buying more components every week or two and was shocked to see how many cases just can't be found. Surely a sign of the times and hopefully it will get better.
Don

#4: Re: No New Calibers For Me! Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:11 am
    ----
We'll have to see if this Obama scare settles down, and only he can determine that. I've noticed that the price is base metals has fallen too. Maybe things will pick up for us later.

#5: Re: No New Calibers For Me! Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:55 am
    ----
If you are really concerned, we must do everything we can to avoid Eric Holders approval for U.S. Attorney General.

He is anti-gun.
Quote::
Springfield, Virginia -- With the selection of Eric Holder, President Barack Obama could not have picked a more anti-Second Amendment nominee for U.S. Attorney General.

Eric Holder has a long history of anti-Second Amendment activism, going back to the days when he was the go-to guy for gun control in the Clinton administration.

Holder's record includes his support of a three day waiting period for handgun purchases, handgun rationing of one gun per month, renewing the semi-automatic gun ban, gun owner registration and licensing, and much more.

Go to gunowners.org/ and send the letter they have provided to your Senators, it is very easy to do.

#6: Re: No New Calibers For Me! Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:57 am
    ----
Sorry I had a second thought.

Have your wife send one too, and anybody in your hose that can vote, such as children 18 and older.

#7: Re: No New Calibers For Me! Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:33 am
    ----
Don: the majority of shortage at the retail level is due to retailers trying to keep up with a spike in demand. Eventually, this has to effect wholesellers as they try to resupply the retailers.

But, take heart, this is a hiccup that will even out within sixty to ninety days. Our recent order of brass and primers was filled at 90%. Most powders are readily available from distributors. There are some exceptions, but, then, there are always some exceptions. Small rifle primers and Varget are the two most notable shortages currently. Our recent order of powder was filled (440 lbs) with only a few BOs.

#8: Re: No New Calibers For Me! Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:12 am
    ----
Messages already sent through GOA earlier this morning. I've been doing that for some time now.
I have enough supplies for hunting and defense purposes, it's my recreational shooting that will have to suffer the loss. I even have ammo stocked for cartridges that I no longer have the guns for which to shoot it. I seem to always come back to certain cartridges so I keep the supply.
Don

-> Reloading Ammunition