Replacement Sights
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Replacement Sights Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:31 pm
    ----
Hey Guys,

I have a Taurus 24/7 PRO Pistol in 40 S&W caliber. and, while I like the sights that came with the firearm (Front Sight: Heinie Rear Sight: Straight-8) I am wondering if there is not something better. But, I do not want a scope, or a Laser.

I really like peep sights and while I know that I do not want, or need the type of adjustment that peep sights for rifles normally come with, what I want is a rear sight that has a hole to look through.

What I am wondering is, if there is not a rear sight that is something like a peep sight?

Or, hooded if that suits you.

Any information on handgun sights will be greatly appreciated.

#2: Re: Replacement Sights Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:20 am
    ----
Gidday Lester.

I would imagine that a peep type sight for a pistol is going to be a custom build job. Is there a particular reason you would prefer a peep sight? Do you just like that style of sight? Are your eyes to the point of needing glasses to see the sights at all (I note that you wear specs)(this is also the reason I gave up pistol shooting).

If the problem revolves around eyesight, then I would suggest a dot sight or holographic type sight. They are pretty small these days and shouldn't present too much of a problem for a carry gun.

Cheers, Vince

#3: Re: Replacement Sights Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 am
    ----
Les, I'm having some trouble seeing iron sights on my defensive handguns so I've been looking at a couple of options:

Big Dot Tritium >> www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html

Fiber optic >> www.novaksights.com/no...sights.htm
>> www.hivizsights.com/Pi...ts-C3.aspx
>> www.truglosights.com/c...sights.asp

#4: Re: Replacement Sights Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:55 am
    ----
Check out the selection of sights at www.brownells.com/. They have started offering Taurus-specific sights and might have something that will appeal to you.

#5: Re: Replacement Sights Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:09 am
    ----
Les, Finding replacement sights for handguns is not a problem at all.
There are a lot of options out there. Finding what you describe would definitely be a challenge.
I’m having trouble understanding why you would want what you describe ???
Please give more info !!!

As for defensive shooting, keep a few things in mind when your thinking about swapping out your sights.
First, most self defense shootings occur at arms length. (no sights needed)
Two, If not at arms length, it’s usually within 10 feet. No aim needed if you learn to point shoot, like you should be at that distance. (no sights needed)
Third, if it’s beyond 10 feet there’s a good chance it’s not self-defense !!!

If you like fiber optic sights look into the ones sold by Dawson.
www.dawsonprecision.com/

If the eyes are going bad, a laser is your best bet for defense.
If it’s just for fun, a holographic or red dot.

#6: Re: Replacement Sights Author: d_hoffmanLocation: Chillicothe, Ohio PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:39 am
    ----
Hey Lester, I've tried the "Ghost Ring" sights and for a defencive or combat type handgun they're not my recomendation. You wind up taking too long to aquire the proper sight picture. Trijicon makes a really good night sight that would work on your 24/7.

In a combat situation, you don't go for the proper sight picture but instead you should try practicing focused more on the front sight keeping it over the rear. It's kind of like the point and shoot method. Using this method of shooting I shot a 300/300 on my federal fire qualification.

#7: Re: Replacement Sights Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:11 am
    ----
Hey Guys,

No this is not an eyesight thing. I do just fine with the Heinie Straight 8's that are on two of my pistols. Very Happy I've become used to that configuration, and sort of like it.

As far as point and shoot, also comfortable with that out to 20 - 30 feet.

I guess it was a lame idea. Embarassed But, the thought of an AK type cross hair front sight with some sort of large rear peep sounded intriguing to me.

The first rifles I owned had peep sights and that's what I grew up with.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions