Barrel contact with stock and accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#76: Re: Barrel contact with stock and accuracy Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:53 pm
    ----
Lester,
go with the 1:9 twist. It will stablize all the bullets you want to shoot. If you are afraid of too much twist, don't be. I shoot a 158 grain JHC pistol bullets at 2700 fps through my 358 Win and get sub caliber groups with it. My rifle has 1:10 twist. It is VERY hard to turn a bullet too fast - even one that is made for pistol velocities.

#77: Re: Barrel contact with stock and accuracy Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:08 am
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
I'd go for a 1:11 or 1:12 twist rate myself. Those 2 are ideal to stabilize the 168gr & 175gr SMK ammunition.

Dimitri, I don’t know where you came up with this !!!

German made 7MM Weatherby mags came with a 1-12 twist and could not reliably stabilize bullets 160 grains or heavier.
( The one sitting in my safe has proved this )

Les, Bullets don’t become unstable when using a faster twist than needed.
They just are not as accurate as they could be.
This is why Paul is getting away with shooting pistol bullets in his rifle.

The 1-9 twist in my 7MM-08 works great with 120gr Ballistic Tips !!!
I doubt you’ll be disappointed with your 140 gr. Loads !!!

#78: Re: Barrel contact with stock and accuracy Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:49 pm
    ----
Chambered,

Woops. I just realized I made a mistake, he mentioned the old M40 he had a few times and looking back I noticed he was actually referring to a accurate 7mm build not the 308Win like the M40. Embarassed

My apologies. Embarassed

Dimitri

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions