A lot of coyotes in Colorado
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: A lot of coyotes in Colorado Author: rkymtnman30Location: Colorado PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:54 pm
    ----
The last few years during elk season we have been noticeing more and more coyotes. We hunt area 25 near Deep Lake this last season we saw twice as many coyotes as elk and deer combined I was wondering if it was a local problem or if others were seeing the same sort of thing in other areas. I have a friend who said they were seeing the same sort of thing they hunt in the south of the state. Needless to say we are planning a few coyote hunting trips this year. The last few years the more coyotes we see the less elk and deer we see so we are hoping if we thin the coyote population it will help the elk and deer seasons to come.

#2: Re: A lot of coyotes in Colorado Author: oldclunker PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:09 pm
    ----
We hunted the Alamosa area since 1993. The population of coyotes has exploded over the last few times out there.

Problem is, you have to either decide to shoot coyotes or hunt elk while your there.

We spend 25 hours on the road (one way) to get there and then find less elk and deer as you mentioned. I wish the locals would do a bit more thinning of the coyotes. Lord knows I have done my share when I can.

#3: Re: A lot of coyotes in Colorado Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:51 pm
    ----
Hmmmm...... a coyote hunting trip I'm betting a guy could do that pretty economically and have a hell of a lot of fun in the process. That is one hell of an idea, I have made it to the gate of Fort Carson in 15 hours.

#4: Re: A lot of coyotes in Colorado Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:06 am
    ----
Hey, I'm planning on being in the Trinidad area in January, maybe I can add some yote calling to the trip.

#5: Re: A lot of coyotes in Colorado Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:57 pm
    ----
We've heard plenty in GMU751 the last two years but haven't managed to call any close enough - yet.

-> Big Game Hunting