New Marlin
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: New Marlin Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:47 am
    ----
I just came across this Marlin 1895SDT while on line the other day and couldn't get it off my mind. I've always been a fan of the 45/70 and have owned several over the years, but this will be my first in S.S. I placed the order for this one last night. www.galleryofguns.com/...mp;sit=All
Don

#2: Re: New Marlin Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:54 am
    ----
Very sweet rifle! Hope you have fun with it. I have the Guide gun version.

#3: Re: New Marlin Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:02 pm
    ----
BigBlue, I have the blued and ported Guide Gun and love it! Fells good and shoots good. I tried it in a Cowboy Action set up once just for fun and it was fast. Really rung the plates too! If you do your own loading try a 400 grain cast bullet over 27.0 grains of Accurate 5744 powder. Both my Marlins gave me 1.5" groups at 100 yards with that load.

#4: Re: New Marlin Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:50 am
    ----
Nice mate....but its a Marlin...not a Winchester Model 94...although Winchester didn't make the Mod 94 in 45-70 so I suppose you can be forgiven. Laughing

Enjoy shooting your new rifle mate...something rather special about a lever action...love them.

Cheers, Vince

#5: Re: New Marlin Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:20 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
Nice mate....but its a Marlin...not a Winchester Model 94...

Exactly ............................ that's precisely what's even better about his new purchase......... it's a Marlin !!!!!!!!! Your wording was just a bit off Vince....... Laughing Laughing Laughing

#6: Re: New Marlin Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:48 am
    ----
Marlin...sounds a bit fishy mate. ROFL ROFL ROFL

Seriously though...Marlin are still a pretty good rifle...not quite a Winchester Model 94...but good nonetheless. Very Happy Very Happy

How was your Christmas mate? Santa good to you and yours?

Cheers, Vince

#7: Re: New Marlin Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:49 pm
    ----
Winchester did make a 444 in Model 94 though!

#8: Re: New Marlin Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:35 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
Seriously though...Marlin are still a pretty good rifle...not quite a Winchester Model 94...Vince

You are correct mate, that they aren't a ww. therefore they are better.............. Very Happy

Vince wrote:
How was your Christmas mate? Santa good to you and yours?

Cheers, Vince

My Christmas was great and yours?

#9: Re: New Marlin Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:57 am
    ----
Gotta say, I have Marlins and a Winchester and the Marlins shoot better...

#10: Re: New Marlin Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:47 am
    ----
The last time Winchester made a fine lever action big bore gun was when both Marlin and Win were making big bore lever guns, in competition.

Winchester started making major changes to its guns in 1964. They changed themselves right into chapter 11. Now Winchester ain't Winchester anymore. A Marlin is still a Marlin and they had the common sense not to fix what ain't broke.

My Winchester guns are pre guns except one, and they are fine guns. I do own a M-70 Classic 338/7mm Mag gun. But the Classic is in truth a pre gun made in 1998. It too is yet another fine gun that Win has stopped making.

My Marlin guns are fine guns and they were not made 40-60 years ago.
Best,
Ed

#11: Re: New Marlin Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:58 am
    ----
I just hope Marlin's new owners continue to allow Marlin to make production, customer service and quality control decisions that are not based solely on the bottom line. So far so good.
I've never dealt with Davidson's before this purchase, but so far they are doing everything right. I ordered the rifle on the 26th and it shipped out yesterday. They sent an Email to confirm shipping from Phoenix, Arizona on the 29th and the FedEx tracking numbers say my dealer in PA. will have the rifle on Friday. With the Holiday and weekend in the middle of the transaction, I think the speed of delivery is excellent as is their communication.
Don

#12: Re: New Marlin Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:46 pm
    ----
One Eight Nine Five Ess Ess wrote:
My Christmas was great and yours?

Mine wasn't too bad at all thanks mate. Santa was good to me and we had three of our six grand kids visiting. Kids make Christmas.

Big Blue, I don't think, at this point in time, that you will have any problems. Now mate, all ya gotta do is get out there with your new Fish...ah, rifle...run it in carefully then shoot some damn fine groups that you can show us. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

#13: Re: New Marlin Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:41 pm
    ----
Who ownes Marlin Firearms now? S&W!? They own Thompson Center.

#14: Re: New Marlin Author: redneckhunterLocation: east texas ,lake of the pines PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:11 pm
    ----
last i heard was that remington bought marlin
that was a couple months back tho Very Happy

#15: Re: New Marlin Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:12 am
    ----
"Now Winchester ain't Winchester anymore." "A Marlin is still a Marlin"

Who owns Winchester or Marlin has nothing to do with my post, at all. The fact is that a new Marlin is a Marlin and a new Winchester is not even close to the gun that built the Winchester reputation. Not an opion, a fact.
Best,
Ed

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions