Proper Primer Seating
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#31: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:47 am
    ----
Yup...Rralphh is the one I kept getting instead of Orrorkk...

I haven't noticed that much difference between primers as far as residue is concerned, twofifty...

Here ya go Gelandangan...It could be any throttle/choke cable. Round knob or "T" handle (pictured). Removes media in the flash hole and cleans the pocket. I use it to do any probing chores around the bench also...

#32: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
That's well and good Handloader, but I will keep on cleaning my primer pockets. I did an experiment a few years ago with CCI primers in .45 ACP and [I] found that there was a slow increase of carbon in the primer pockets as I went along. After around 10 to 12 reloadings I was noticing that the primers were not seating as deep or were just a bit cockeyed in the pocket.

Besides...My method of cleaning the crusty pockets only takes about a minute or less for 50 cases...

And that, Mr Bushy, is the great thing about reloading and forums like this. We get a variety of information, pros and cons, advise and consent and dissent. Your experiment and mine gave different results which implies that there wasn't a consistency in components between us; that may offer some added information for consideration.

I will note that with the 45 Colt using Unique or AA#9, I have cases with well over 20 loadings without cleaning the primer pocket, yet, the primers seat easily below flush.

So, onward we go defining what works best for us and believing in our own methodology. Is this a great sport or what?!

#33: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 am
    ----
It IS a great sport and hobby.

If nothing else...Your experiment and mine will give others things to think about when primer problems occur...

#34: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:43 am
    ----
Very Happy I'm till here and thank you all for your input, I am probably over concerned about this, but as a retired Tool & Die maker, precise measurements have always been very important to me, just a way of life I guess. Again thank you all for your responses, and as I am new to cartridge reloading (did shot-shells long ago) I will probably have more question down the road.

What I am thinking about now is what size bench to build. I will most likely do my reloading standing up and I will be using a Lee Load Masted with another Lee C type press on the side. Any ideas?

#35: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:21 am
    ----
lesterg3 wrote:
:

What I am thinking about now is what size bench to build. I will most likely do my reloading standing up and I will be using a Lee Load Masted with another Lee C type press on the side. Any ideas?

I built mine so that my arm is just short of fully extended with the press handle all the way down when standing, making sure I wasn't leaning to the side.
Then I found a strong bar stool with a back for when I want to sit & shortened the legs an inch or so to achieve the same position for my arm.
My bench top is 30" front to back so that I can reach stuff without stretching & 60" long - too short really, now that I have two presses mounted.

#36: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:41 am
    ----
"Any ideas?"...Yes...Go with the Lee Cast "O" press instead of the "C" press.

Build your bench so it is a good compromise standing and sitting. I'm 5' 7" and my bench is 38" high. I use a shortened bar stool when sitting.

Last edited by Bushmaster on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

#37: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:17 pm
    ----
Thanks Bushy..
I thought there is some cable left to work as "brush" for the carbon..
somehow my imagination is different to the actual stuff..

#38: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:39 pm
    ----
There is a bit of cable left (about an inch)...Most, if not all, cable pulls are one strand of solid wire. All you do is waller it around the primer pocket and one pass through the flash hole.

#39: waller Author: twofiftyLocation: BC Rockies PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:18 pm
    ----
waller: A neat colourful word.

Hey Bushmaster, help me out here please and tell us where this "waller" word comes from. It's a new word for me.

Is it a US Navy term?
Is wallering the action of scraping gunk off the walls of a space, compartment, or recess on a ship???

#40: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:42 am
    ----
Waller===to roll oneself about in a lazy, relaxed, or ungainly manor. (hogs waller around in mud or a hog waller)... Nananana

What's wrong wit-chu, twofifty?...Don't you understand English? Very Happy

#41: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:39 am
    ----
Some folks without proper educations may spell it "wallow"... Wink

#42: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:27 pm
    ----
Aah Pumpkinslinger...Ya caught me...

#43: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: twofiftyLocation: BC Rockies PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:50 pm
    ----
Looks like it's me that got caught in a state of flagrant ignorance....wallering in my own ignorance if you will.

I like that waller word.

#44: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:32 am
    ----
Dats neat..
I may try with some cut off from the bike brake cable... its too long and wallering my laigs while pedaling.. Very Happy

#45: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:28 am
    ----
Hey Bushy: How did you clean the primer pocket on that upside down case? Razz Very Happy

-> Reloading Ammunition