Proper Primer Seating
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#16: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:43 am
    ----
That's well and good Handloader, but I will keep on cleaning my primer pockets. I did an experiment a few years ago with CCI primers in .45 ACP and [I] found that there was a slow increase of carbon in the primer pockets as I went along. After around 10 to 12 reloadings I was noticing that the primers were not seating as deep or were just a bit cockeyed in the pocket.

Besides...My method of cleaning the crusty pockets only takes about a minute or less for 50 cases...

#17: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:58 am
    ----
OK BUSHY, I'LL ASK THE QUESTION SO YOU CAN FEEL SMART TODAY Laughing Laughing

HOW DO YOU CLEAN 50 CRUSTY CASSES IN LESS THAN ONE MINUTE?????

ERIC Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

#18: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:40 am
    ----
That's easy...I use a throttle/choke cable that I have trimmed to one inch of the guide part of the handle. As you punch out the media you run it around the pocket at the same time while all the cases to be cleaned are in the box.

You got a harder question for me this morning?

#19: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:06 am
    ----
Naw

That is about as hard of a question as I can come up with today.

As always Bushy, that is a great simple idea, and I think that I will copy you if you don't mind.

Eric

#20: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:18 am
    ----
And I thought, for sure, you would ask me why that one case was upside down in the box...Oh well.

Please. Be my guest. You can find free cable pulls at your local small engine or lawn mower dealer. They discard the broken ones anyway...

#21: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: 1895ssLocation: West of Here!! PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:23 pm
    ----
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Looks good Bushy, I new you used that. I use an RCBS primer pocket cleaner brush but I've been meaning to give Bushy's method a try. I clean the primer pockets almost all the time, the only time I don't is if there is virtually nothing in it. Smile

#22: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:30 pm
    ----
Well hi guy. Back from the wars (with the traffic)? Could be a long winter this year...

#23: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: 1895ssLocation: West of Here!! PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:32 pm
    ----
Yep I'm off for a while at least. I may be called back after the New Year to do some milling.

Oh and Hi, how ya been? Smile

#24: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: twofiftyLocation: BC Rockies PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:36 pm
    ----
Handloader wrote:
Lachmiller, RCBS and others offer primer seating tools that seat to a pre-determined adjustable depth. The feel in seating primers is important and gives clue if something is amiss.

IMO/E, there is seldom a need to ever clean a primer pocket. The residue that comes out when cleaning is consistent whether the case has been fired once or multiple times which leads me to the conclusion that most pockets are self cleaning. Asking top competitors in benchrest or 600/1000 yard target shooting, I have found a divided opinion on whether the pockets need cleaning, but, many feel it is an unnecessary step. And they win their share of matches.

Maybe the divided opinions have to do with what powder(s) are being burnt - different powders, different residue.

#25: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:37 pm
    ----
Pretty good concidering. Had two of my sons and their wives for Thanksgiving. One from Seattle and one from Atlanta. Just got them out of the house when I came down with the flu. Over that and had my first real food just an hour ago. Mighty fine ham (leftover) and cheese sandwich and beer.

And you?

#26: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: 1895ssLocation: West of Here!! PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:41 pm
    ----
I came down with a cold and a sore throat in the last couple of days but other then that everything is fine. Smile

#27: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:42 pm
    ----
twofifty...The powder has little to do with the residue left in the pocket. At least that's what I have figured out...

#28: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:15 pm
    ----
Bushy,
Could you please give us some close up pic of that Miracle Primer Pocket Cleaning Tool of yours?

Tha mate!

#29: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: twofiftyLocation: BC Rockies PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:09 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
twofifty...The powder has little to do with the residue left in the pocket. At least that's what I have figured out...

Thanks for pointing that out.
Does the residue vary with the type or brand of primer? (I have only used 1 brand so far)

#30: Re: Proper Primer Seating Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:50 am
    ----
I too clean my primer pockets religiously. I have a Simplex primer Pocket Cleaning Tool that does the job nicely. Only takes a second and I figure that it can't hurt, so I do it.

That's a good idea of yours Bushy...you should patent it mate. Sorry to hear you have been poorly, good to hear you are back on your feet again.

I am "reading between the lines" here...I take it that Been trying to call oorrork in eeurope, but couldn't seem to get that porcilen telephone to make contact... is the same as callin' for Ralph and Herb...goin' the "big spit".

Cheers, Vince

-> Reloading Ammunition