Baiting Ban in Michigan
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:30 am
    ----
You guys heard of the No Baiting Deer in Michigan LP?
Causing quite a stir up here. People are just gonna have to learn how to Hunt.. Very Happy

#2: Re: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:11 pm
    ----
glockman55 wrote:
You guys heard of the No Baiting Deer in Michigan LP?
Causing quite a stir up here. People are just gonna have to learn how to Hunt.. Very Happy

Hey Glockman just curious, why did they ban it ?
Joe

#3: Re: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:20 pm
    ----
They found one privately owned pen Deer with CWD. in southern Michigan.

#4: Re: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:04 pm
    ----
glockman55 wrote:
They found one privately owned pen Deer with CWD. in southern Michigan.

I don't think I believe baiting would promote the spread anymore than natural food plots would but I'm no scientist.
Joe

#5: Re: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: OntheLasGallinasLocation: South Texas PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:13 pm
    ----
I agree with Joe (and I am a Scientist). Food plots or baiting isn't going to change the herding habits of Deer. Deer always travel in herds and are always exposing each other to any diseases that the herd may be carrying. When you pen raise deer, you are exposing your herd by bringing in animals from other herds from other areas. This is a bigger threat to the herd than any baiting could ever be.

It sounds to me like this is a tactic used by anti-hunting groups to make it harder on hunters.

Beware, more restrictions are coming soon.

Cary

#6: Re: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:52 am
    ----
I agree, Michigan residents are already turning against each other on this . Threatening to turn anyone in that baits..bla, bla, bla. We have an anti-hunter running our DNR, what a joke. I've never baited that much, just kept a little on my property to keep the Deer around during Bow season. I hunt the U.P. for gun season where the Ban isn't in effect there yet. It's like any other Stupid Law we just have to live with it.

Last edited by glockman55 on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:35 am
    ----
Our local DNR officer has said "Its stupid" Farmers planting feilds constitutes "feeding" deer. He will do nothing about folks feeding deer with feeders or blocks, unless ordered to by his superiors.

#8: Re: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:03 am
    ----
Crackshot,
He's not really for us hunters.....
He just doesn't want to drive that feed truck this winter. Ha!

#9: Re: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: northernhunter PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:13 pm
    ----
It is true that more hunters will have to learn how to hunt! but I see alot of bad that can come of this new ban. like more hunting accidents, do to more hunters on the move thru the woods instead of watching a bait. ever hear of a sound shots. its the one that ya don't hear that gets ya. hunters will have a hard time finding a deer standing still this year, on most state lands. hope everyone still makes sure of what is on the other side of the target (deer) as they take aim on that moving deer. gets worse as season comes to its end. there will be some still unlucky hunters anxious to bag the big one. before baiting was popular my dad was mistaken for just that late in season. he died shortly there after! I still hunt because he didn't want us to blame the sport that he loved, for bad judgement of others. HE LOVED TO HUNT! and so do I. I hunt in the north east lower mi. myself so I have learned to get along without baiting. but hunter numbers in the woods has dropped in that part of the state alot. compaired to before the TB bait ban. anyways, hope that I am wrong about the increase in accidents. DNR will just say hunters need to be more carefull. Hell It just may help the anti-hunters end hunting altogether. because it isn't safe to go in the woods..............

#10: Re: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:14 am
    ----
No baiting, no rifles in illinois... You better know how to still hunt and scout out the herd or you will spend a nice day up a tree in the woods.

#11: Re: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:26 am
    ----
What I see in Mich. is less hunters on State land. It makes it nice with less crowds but in the long run it will hurt the funds coming in from hunting. As far as still hunting the herds, this isn't like your western States here in Mich. Too much private farm land for that to work here. The baiting was out of control in this State as people were dumping truck loads of bait every where, ( two gal. limit). I think that's part of the reason the DNR put a stop to all baiting in the lower peninsula.Time will tell how this will effect Deer hunting in this State. IMO something had to be done. If the Deer heard increases too much and car deer accidents increase the insurance companies will have a say in weather the ban continues. We'll see. I don't mind the No Bait ban, It will make it harder to harvest a deer, but I think a lot of the younger Bucks will have a chance to get a few years on them which will make for some nicer racks to choose from, and for the meat hunters, Shoot a Doe, and even out the Buck to Doe ratio. They have changed the buck tags in Upper Mich. this year, your first Buck must have three points on one side and the second must have four points on one side, on the combo licence.

#12: Re: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:59 am
    ----
Glockman, There aint no shortage of hunters on our state land in Hillsdale County! Its still way more dangerouse to hunt state land than private property in my area.
Welcome aboard northernhunter.

#13: Re: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:46 am
    ----
Crackshot, I'm just going by my area..Tuscola Co. and Archery season should be different than Gun season. I think there is more to this ban than CWD. There are groups that want to stop hunting and/or turn hunters against each other, Which you know as well as I do this Baiting ban has accomplished that. I'll be rifle hunting in the U.P. where you never see another hunter in the woods. The way I like it.
Take Care

#14: Re: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:29 am
    ----
I have a small private propety to hunt on, so Im good for that for awhile. Were abouts do you hunt in the UP? My Father, Uncles, Brothers and I, used to hunt ALot near the Iron Mountain area.

#15: Re: Baiting Ban in Michigan Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:30 pm
    ----
Munising, Shingleton area. Going up this week-end to do some scouting..

-> Big Game Hunting