What kind of calls do you use?
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: What kind of calls do you use? Author: tbox61Location: Great Bend, KS PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:09 am
    ----
It would be kind of interesting to see what kind of calls you all are using for predators in your parts of the world. I started out using primarily closed-reed calls, but have found that the open reed calls give you more options for call-shy coyotes and bobcats.

I have used a Tally-Ho for the last couple of years with great success. I have bank customer that is on the field staff of Quaker Boy calls, and he gave me a box full of calls to try, both open reed and closed. They have come calls that sound promising, but I have not tried them in the field.

Haven't tried any of the digital callers, like Fox-Pro, so it would be interesting to hear from any of you that have digital units. There is another digital caller out there from Wildlife Technologies, but it is pretty pricey at around $850 for a caller with 32 sounds and a remote. I know of one person that owns one, and has had good luck with it. I haven't yet convinced the wife to forgo a house payment to purchase a digital caller!

Chime in when you can!
Tim

#2: Re: What kind of calls do you use? Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:02 pm
    ----
Open reed and diaphram calls are the ones I use most these days. They allow far greater latitude in the types of vocalizations as well as instant volume changes.

The diaphram has been difficult for me to get the types of sounds I wanted and it took a lot of practice. Its main advantage is I can go from rabbit to coyote call to tweety bird instantly. That ability has called back or stopped some fleeing coyotes. Success rates have gone up since using it.

The other advantage is bulk, complexity, weight and cost are reduced over the electronic variety. I have used some electronic calls and still hunt with a few buddies that prefer them but, for me, they get monotonous and boring.

Personally, I find the hand calls/diaphram calls are far more rewarding as the sounds I make are totally mine to control and it makes me feel a bit more involved.

#3: Re: What kind of calls do you use? Author: popgunLocation: Mitchell, GA, U.S.A. (2007 pop. 191) PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:49 am
    ----
I use open and closed reed calls and both seem to work great. Variety keeps them coming in. Once they know every instrument in your band they get tired of listening. Very Happy
I also use a cassette tape caller that weighs a ton but I am saving up for the new FoxPro model FX-3 with dual amplified speakers with remote is just $ 489.95

FoxPro Electronic Callers

#4: Re: What kind of calls do you use? Author: heritage1550Location: East Texas Woods PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:02 pm
    ----
I'm not too good with mouth calls so I broke down and odered an electronic call from Cabela's. I odered the Western Rivers Predation MP3 with remote(can't afford Foxpro). It should be here middle of next week. Once I give it a try I'll let ya'll know if it worked. I'm trying primarily to attract crows and coyotes. We'll see.

-> Varmint Hunting