AR-15 build showing promise.
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:44 am
    ----

And the barrel aint even broken in yet! AR-15 w/ Krieger bull barrel and Timmney trigger.
Winchester brass loaded with Ramshot X-Terminator
CCI Benchrest primers
50grain Hornady V-Max

#2: Re: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:30 pm
    ----
Lookin good crackshot Very Happy
Joe

#3: Re: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:49 pm
    ----
She's comming along fine Joe, Thanks. I have a New Super Sniper 10X scope to put on it but may just leave the Simmons on it.

#4: Re: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: coyotehunter_1Location: Tennessee (USA) PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:56 pm
    ----
Hey Crackshot,
Looks like your target's defective ... it's got a bunch of little holes in it. Laughing

Good shooting! What rate of twist you using?

#5: Re: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:19 pm
    ----
This one has a 1-12" twist and should stabilize anything below 55 grains well. Im going to load some 40grain VMax next and see what she will do with those and post the results. These are all going to be starting loads. As these with 50 gr Vmax were.

#6: Re: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: coyotehunter_1Location: Tennessee (USA) PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:35 pm
    ----
Sounds good! You have a shooter there. Smile

Keep us posted on the load work up. Very Happy

#7: Re: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:18 am
    ----
Will do! Very Happy

#8: Re: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:53 pm
    ----
Loaded 10 rounds of 40gr Vmax today. Hopeing to test them Saturday morning. Will post results.

#9: Re: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:41 am
    ----
The 40gr Vmax did not do so well, I wont even post a picture of the "pattern" the rifle shot with them. Sad I'll try another powder and see what happens. Maybe some H322.

#10: Re: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:29 pm
    ----
Crackshot wrote:
The 40gr Vmax did not do so well, I wont even post a picture of the "pattern" the rifle shot with them. Sad I'll try another powder and see what happens. Maybe some H322.

Hey Crackshot I had good luck with Varget and Benchmark both with the .223 it was for a savage 12fv but they both worked very well.
Joe

#11: Re: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:27 pm
    ----
Thanks for the heads up Joe. Smile I have some of those powders on hand as well. Do you have a prefered load you like with the 40gr Vmax in the 223 Rem you would be willing to share? Smile
I just started useing the RamShot Ex-Terminator. I have had excellent results with the H322 though in the past.

#12: Re: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:17 pm
    ----
Sorry buddy never shot the 40 grain Vmax. For the 50 gr Nosler B-Ts my best load was 26.5 grains of Benchmark it shot 1/2 moa Cool .
Joe

#13: Re: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:42 pm
    ----
I have some 50gr Vmax'es here. Maybe I'll look up a starting load for them with Benchmark and give it a try. Very Happy
Have you tried any of the Barnes Varmint grenades in a 223 yet Joe? I have debated getting some next order and giveing them a try in my 223Rem and My 223 WSSM, Possibly even my 22Khornet.

#14: Re: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:46 pm
    ----
Crackshot wrote:
I have some 50gr Vmax'es here. Maybe I'll look up a starting load for them with Benchmark and give it a try. Very Happy
Have you tried any of the Barnes Varmint grenades in a 223 yet Joe? I have debated getting some next order and giveing them a try in my 223Rem and My 223 WSSM, Possibly even my 22Khornet.

I haven't tried them, the Nosler B-Ts shot so well I didn't feel the need Very Happy . I think you will like the Benchmark let me no how ya make out.
Joe

#15: Re: AR-15 build showing promise. Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:03 am
    ----
I went out to the shop and found a 90% full box of 40gr Nosler BT's that have been setting there for Lord knows how long. I may give them a try as well.

-> Varmint Hunting