Refinishing the stock on my 1954 Winchester.
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Refinishing the stock on my 1954 Winchester. Author: JohnnyGLocation: Southern Ohio PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:32 pm
    ----
Yes, I actually got the paint stripper out and sprayed it on this beautiful gun. Someone, many years ago, had already managed to mess it up pretty good with some sprayed on polyurethane. The checkering on this Super Grade in 220 Swift was filled with the stuff. I sent away to Winchester Restorations and got some original type red-brown linseed oil and started the process, and it is coming along really well. I am trying to duplicate the original factory finish as closely as possible, for asthetic reasons. I realize it will never be a high dollar collector piece ever again, but it's what the gun needed.

My question is, how shiney should I make it? As I hand rub the many coats of finish back into the stock, the shine just keeps building, and I'm trying to figure out just where to stop. Never having seen an original 1954 Super Grade in any calibre, I'm pretty much at a loss. Can anyone share any thoughts on just what the finish should look like when I'm done?

Thanks, Johnny

#2: Re: Refinishing the stock on my 1954 Winchester. Author: BenB PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:55 am
    ----
Johnny, try this for a decent picture. www.collectorsfirearms.../w1453.htm

Ben

#3: Re: Refinishing the stock on my 1954 Winchester. Author: JohnnyGLocation: Southern Ohio PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:18 pm
    ----
Laughing Outstanding! My stock is coming along fine. This picture has taken all of the guesswork out of the process. My wood appears a little darker than the photo, but that is not a bad thing. I need to add just a little more gloss and the stock will be finished.

I have added a picture to my album (JohnG), which should soon be visible to all. The picture is of the stock in its early stages of refinish (6 coats). I will also post a picture when the gun is completed.

Thanks a MILLION Ben!

#4: Re: Refinishing the stock on my 1954 Winchester. Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:05 pm
    ----
picts approved. Looks very nice JohnnyG.

-DallanC

#5: Outstanding! Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:36 pm
    ----
Those pictures were great! All the best...
Gil

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions