Red-face trying to show off my Whisper.
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:24 pm
    ----
Well, the other day, a couple of Pest control people who been hired by the Council and National Parks to do deer culling called me.
They been hearing about the 300 Whisper and was really interested to try one.
Apparently around here, I am the only person who own one of these in this neck of woods.
So, we make an arrangement to show and tell..

So I spend 1 hour making some subsonics bullet based on a load I tried last year on a couple of goats.
I went to the National Park (with the proper authority notified and present) last night, with me I carry all 6 bullet I painstakingly (and lovingly) measure, trickle load and crimp.

So after the round introduction, we went to our main event of the night "the shooting of a 300 Whisper"
we have a target placed about 50 meters away (I think its 65 yards or so, Bushy)
We have spot light and ear muff on.

and Steve, the person who want to try the rifle get behind the scope, aim and squeeze the trigger...

"Blumpfh.."

All around me faces shows disbelieve.. Could this whisper really sound so quiet??
Me... Well, my heart sank.. I am sure the load never sound like this before.
so, I ask Steve to check the barrel before chambering another one.
And, well, Murphy warned me.. anything that will go wrong will go wrong.

The bullet stuck 15 - 20 cm (6 - 8 inches, Bushy)from the muzzle.

I could not dislodge the bullet with cleaning rod.. even tried hammering the rod in..

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

So thats my excitement last night.
today I got to find my gunsmith to help remove this lodged bullet..

#2: Re: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:02 pm
    ----
A few weeks ago I took a lady from work to the range to teach her to shoot a handgun. We started with .22s and began working up. One of the first .38 Specials we shot just gave a muffled "pop". Sure enough I had the first squib load I've ever loaded. Luckily it was easy to knock the lodged bullet out.

I had been using a progressive press to load up a bunch of plinking stuff and noticed that the powder measure hung up during the process. I thought I'd checked all of the cartridges by shaking them and listening for the powder but obviously missed at least that one. Now I only have about 130+ more of these to go through... I did try weighing them but with only 3.4 grains of powder the variations in case (mixed brass) and cast bullet weight made that inconclusive.

#3: Re: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:46 pm
    ----
Um.....that is a definite OOPS Gelan. Embarassed Embarassed

Gonna take you a while to live this one down mate. Laughing

Cheers, Vince

#4: Re: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: tikkat3 PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:42 am
    ----
Thanks for telling us Gelandangan.
Hope you get onto those rusa

#5: Re: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: OntheLasGallinasLocation: South Texas PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:08 pm
    ----
Gelan,

I've never heard of the 300 Whisper. What is the purpose and specs of this round? Is it used for hunting, or just target shooting?

Cary

#6: Re: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:57 pm
    ----
Ahh.. Cary..
Once you hear the whisper, your soul will be sucked in and all your money will go down the drain Smile

A 300 whisper is basically a 308 that use a necked up 221 fireball brass.
The idea of the cartridge is that it could be used in an AR15 for subsonic silenced sniping, but it also could be used for supersonic shooting with equivalent performance to a 30-30 with a lot less powder.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Whisper is a good place to start.

#7: Re: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:59 pm
    ----
tikkat3 wrote:
Thanks for telling us Gelandangan.
Hope you get onto those rusa

Tikka mate, thems are fallows not rusa..
rusa tastes better though so I wish it was rusa.

#8: Re: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:52 pm
    ----
The good think is you knew something was wrong after the shot & acted accordingly. Plenty of others wouldn't have heeded the odd sound, with potentially unpleasant results.

#9: Re: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:26 pm
    ----
Hey English, I thinK that you meant to say thinG.!!!!!

I can't believe that ANYBODY would make a typo that bad.
I sure wouldn't. Laughing Laughing Laughing Insane Insane

Eric Sad

#10: Re: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:49 am
    ----
That's another one of Murphy's Laws: When you want to show off...don't because you won't!
Happens to me every time...helps keep you humble!

#11: Re: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: OntheLasGallinasLocation: South Texas PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:24 pm
    ----
Gelan,

If I have any money left after I get me a big bore air rifle, I might look into the .300 Whisper. It really sounds interesting.

Cary

#12: Re: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: woods PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:49 pm
    ----
Seems like there was a country song that had a lyric "Ain't it funny how pride always goes before a fall"

I'm glad nobody was hurt. We've all had embarrassing moments.

I won't tell you about the time I shot my laptop with a snub nosed 38! Sad

#13: Re: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: DoublejsLocation: SW Pennsylvania PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:03 pm
    ----
woods, do tell that sounds like a real good one. It was probably one of those software problems that needed straightened out (with lead!) Very Happy

#14: Re: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:16 pm
    ----
Woods - please.. tell!!

We all share here.. good things and misery.. Very Happy

#15: Re: Red-face trying to show off my Whisper. Author: OntheLasGallinasLocation: South Texas PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:55 pm
    ----
Woods, we always like a good story. I'd like to hear it.

I'll lead off with one. My step brother and my little brother went deer hunting one morning. the came back about noon. For some reason, my step brother decided to unload his 30-06 before he got out of of the car (1966 Chevy Malibu), instead of before he got in the car. Well, some how he touch off a round that shot through the (now I'm going to show my age) floorboard of the car, toward the transmission. Both my brother and the dumb step brother fell out of the car, with their ears rung! The windows were up. The round hit the transmission bell housing and shattered it. Pieces of it ricocheted around under the hood and tore up the alternator, some wiring, radiator hose, radiator, and exploded the battery.

I still don't let him live that one down.

Cary

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions