Guns for kids.
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Guns for kids. Author: robfromaz1977Location: Arizona's White Mountains PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:04 am
    ----
I WAS THINKING OF BUYING MY TWO OLDEST DAUGHTERS GUNS FOR CHRISTMAS BUT I AM UNSURE OF WHAT TO GET. THEY WILL BE 9 AND 10 IN JANUARY. I HAVE ALLREADY TAKEN THEM OUT TO SHOOT SEVERAL TIMES BUT THEY HAVE TROUBLE HOLDING MY FULL SIZE MARLIN 22LR BOLT ACTION. I SEEN AN AD FOR A YOUTH COMBO SINGLE SHOT THAT SHOOTS A 22LR AND A 410 SHOTGUN. I THINK IT IS MADE BY ROSSI OR NEF. WAS HOPING SOMEONE COULD SHARE A LITTLE INSIGHT ON THIS AND SAVE ME A LITTLE TROUBLE. THANKS.

#2: Re: Guns for kids. Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:02 pm
    ----

If you have the cash go for the genuine Browning. If on a budget get the Norinco copy. I bought a Norinco for the wife a couple years ago for $80 in a pawn shop and while the quality isnt what a Browning is, it is a very decient gun.

The design is very small and very light weight and would work well for youth.

-DallanC

#3: Re: Guns for kids. Author: robfromaz1977Location: Arizona's White Mountains PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:03 am
    ----
HELLO DALLON,
THATS A NICE LOOKING RIFLE. I WILL HAVE TO SEE IF I CAN FIND ONE AND CHECK IT OUT. IT LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD BE A GOOD CHOICE. I WAS ALSO CONSIDERING ONE OF THOSE CHIPMUNK SINGLE SHOTS BUT THEY SEEM TO BE A LITTLE EXPENSIVE FOR THE QUALITY. THANKS FOR THE INFO.

ROB

#4: Re: Guns for kids. Author: beezer PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:06 am
    ----
I let friends daughter shoot my 22 and a little 410 but she has trouble with the length of stock. If you have to shorten it might affect it's resale value when they've outgrown the shorter guns.

#5: Re: Guns for kids. Author: Guest PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:37 pm
    ----
I bought my two sons ages 6 & 8 at the time Savage Cub single shot 22's I liked the fact they had peep sights. I paid $120 each 2 years ago.

Single Shot Rimfire Series
Model CUB - Mini Youth
Caliber .22 S, L, LR
Overall Length 33"
Barrel Length 16.125"
Weight 3.3 lbs.
Magazine Capacity Single shot
Stock Walnut finished hardwood.
Sights Rear peep sight, bead post front sight.
Rifling Rate of Twist 1 in 16"
Features Mini single shot bolt action, swivel studs, traditional safety, free-floating, button-rifled barrel, blued finish.
Suggested Retail $156.00

#6: Re: Guns for kids. Author: LittleMagnumLocation: Vermont PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:42 pm
    ----
I bought my two sons ages 6 & 8 at the time Savage Cub single shot 22's I liked the fact they had peep sights. I paid $120 each 2 years ago.

Single Shot Rimfire Series
Model CUB - Mini Youth
Caliber .22 S, L, LR
Overall Length 33"
Barrel Length 16.125"
Weight 3.3 lbs.
Magazine Capacity Single shot
Stock Walnut finished hardwood.
Sights Rear peep sight, bead post front sight.
Rifling Rate of Twist 1 in 16"
Features Mini single shot bolt action, swivel studs, traditional safety, free-floating, button-rifled barrel, blued finish.
Suggested Retail $156.00

DallanC.....You can delete that post above me. I forgot to log in.

#7: Re: Guns for kids. Author: robfromaz1977Location: Arizona's White Mountains PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:35 am
    ----
HI LITTLEMAGNUM,
THANKS FOR THE TIP. I WENT AND LOOKED UP SAVAGES WEBSITE AND LOOKED AT THAT RIFLE. I THINK IT WILL WORK JUST FINE AND WILL PROBABLY BE THE GUN I GO WITH. I ALSO LOOKED UP A MARLIN YOUTH MODEL SINGLE SHOT. ITS MODEL 915Y AND IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE SAVAGE. THE SAVAGE IS HOWEVER ALMOST A FULL POUND LIGHTER. THIS WOULD BE THE MAIN REASON I WOULD GO WITH IT OVER THE MARLIN. PLUS THE PRICE IS HARD TO BEAT. AT MY LOCAL SPORTING GOODS DEALER THEY ARE ALLWAYS LOWER IN PRICE THAN THE SUGGESTED RETAIL. THANKS AGAIN.

#8: Re: Guns for kids. Author: longwalkerLocation: Bethel, AK PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:49 pm
    ----
In my opinion a single shot break action rifle will be hard to beat. They are simple to load, simple to check, and good forever. Everybody had a single shot rifle at one time or an other, why not let them have the same fun as you did with yours.

NEF makes a good gun, you won't have to worry about a lite trigger though. Make sure they have glasses on when the action is opened the bullets are ejected!

longwalker

#9: Re: Guns for kids. Author: Al_Sohlstrom PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:35 pm
    ----
Hi

I was looking through a catalog... maybe the CDNN, I forget... and saw a thing that Rossi is doing: The Matched Pair.

The youth sized look about right, and you can get started with both .22LR and .410 shotgunning in the same package. They do an interesting off-center bore on the .22 so the barrel can be used on the centerfire frame.

I remembered it because I was looking seriously at the 12 Ga./.308 Win combo.

Yah yah yah yah - I know. I'd prebably buy fresh cow manure if it came in .308 Win. Very Happy So sue me!! Very Happy

#10: Re: Guns for kids. Author: robfromaz1977Location: Arizona's White Mountains PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:36 am
    ----
Al_Sohlstrom wrote:
Hi

I was looking through a catalog... maybe the CDNN, I forget... and saw a thing that Rossi is doing: The Matched Pair.

The youth sized look about right, and you can get started with both .22LR and .410 shotgunning in the same package.

HELLO AL
THAT WAS KINDA WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. I THOUGHT I HAD SEEN THAT SET UP SOME WHERE IN A MAGAZINE BUT I COULDN'T FIND IT. THANKS FOR THE LINK INFO. I AM STILL NOT SURE WHAT I WANT THEM TO START OUT WITH BUT IT IS HARD TO BEAT A COMBO LIKE THAT.

#11: Re: Guns for kids. Author: GooberPP PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:24 pm
    ----
I bought my 11 YO daughter a Henry MiniBolt single shot .22 It's cool looking with the stainless metal and black plastic stock. And the fire sights are better than I've seen on other kid-size guns and it's light enough and the stock is short enough that she can hold on to it. She loves it.

#12: Re: Guns for kids. Author: 515034s10ringLocation: Working my way back up and around PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:43 pm
    ----
My daughters (now 6 1/2 and 8 Wink )started on a a Marlin 915Y and went up to a slightly modified Browning BL-22 and a Winchester 94 Trapper in 357 (for the oldest).
They have shot my Buckmark rifle but said they don't like it because it reminds them of their pistols too much and they don't like the fact they shoot less accurate with autoloading rifles.
I as well have tried the Rossi and Taurus pump action, but they were inconsistant beyond their capabilities.

I guess i could also say, even though this may/may not be a suprise for Christmas, why not just take them to a gun shop with you and act like you are shopping for yourself still.....however, find something that appeals to them, and make sure you have a knowledgeable sales person that knows how to check for fit, and have them fitted first. Then you will have much more to go by knowing what size (length of pull and such) you should get so their shooting is enjoyable instead of cumbersome and somewhat painful.

With my daughters Trapper, i bought an extra stock, milled it, and put a regular pad without loosing the contour, and fit it right to her. Which yes, it is a little extreme for some, but the smile pays for it 3 fold! Love

#13: Re: Guns for kids. Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:03 am
    ----
Last fall I got my 10 year old grandson a single shot Marlin bolt action. It came with nice HiViz sights, but I put a 3-9 x 32 scope on it for him.
These rifles are light and short with a short length of pull. It is the perfect fit for a person of his stature.
As for the single shot aspect, well, he has learned to take his time and make each shot count. Makes me thing perhaps I should get one of those handsome Ruger #1's for myself.

#14: Re: Guns for kids. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:59 pm
    ----
I actually started my daughters on a Ruger Mk1 .22 pistol. They had a ball shooting it. It has a little recoil so that when they graduated to something bigger recoil wasn't an unknown factor to them.

When they where big enough to handle a rifle and shot my .22 rifles for the first time they were really happy with the accuracy they were able to achieve...I believe because of the extra "work" they had to put into shooting the pistol accurately.

So give a little consideration to a .22 pistol as well robfromaz1977.

Cheers, Vince

#15: Re: Guns for kids. Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:27 am
    ----
The first guns my kids shot was a Winchester 62 22 pump and a ruger model 1 22 RF pistol. They were light enough to hold with a rest and the recoil was light. They graduated to my 3006 and 357 maximum. My daughter was always good with the pistols and my son was best with rifles. It turned out that my daughter was left eyed and right handed - once I taught her to shoot rifles left handed she was amazing.
My kids were raised around guns from the time they were two and three years old. They learned all the safety procedures before they could cock the guns or pull the triggers. It was all automatic by the time they could shoot. My guns were in plain view - they asked when they were curious about them and I taught them to handle them safely. I enjoyed the experiences we shared and so did they. They are both still shooting, although their spouses do not. Therefore the children have not been exposed to guns and have had no exposure to guns at all. Too bad.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions