REMOVING LIVE PRIMERS FROM BRASS
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: REMOVING LIVE PRIMERS FROM BRASS Author: HAWGWYLDLocation: COLORADO PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:21 am
    ----
I RECENTLY PURCHASED SOME BRASS AT A GARAGE SALE
THE BRASS HAS HAD THE BULLETS AND POWDER REMOVE BUT THEY LEFT
THE LIVE PRIMERS IN HOW DO I SAFELY REMOVE THE PRIMERS?

#2: Re: REMOVING LIVE PRIMERS FROM BRASS Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:37 am
    ----
Shoot them

Put them in the gun and pull the trigger.
It will be louder than you think, put your ears on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAUTION: you will get a small blast from the muzzle so as always keep it pointed in a safe direction and wear eye protection.

Option two is, fill them with oil and let them sit a day or two.

#3: Re: REMOVING LIVE PRIMERS FROM BRASS Author: K.W.Location: Finland PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:50 am
    ----
HAWGWYLD wrote:
I RECENTLY PURCHASED SOME BRASS AT A GARAGE SALE
THE BRASS HAS HAD THE BULLETS AND POWDER REMOVE BUT THEY LEFT
THE LIVE PRIMERS IN HOW DO I SAFELY REMOVE THE PRIMERS?

With normaly way ofcourse like used. Why you donĀ“t use those primers?(mercury reason?) If you shoot them, there is very much black dirt in your gun.

#4: Removing live primers Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:38 pm
    ----
Welcome to the Forum.

Live primers can safely be removed by carefully running the cases through the resizing die and depriming them. Hope this helps. All the best...
Gilre

#5: Re: REMOVING LIVE PRIMERS FROM BRASS Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:19 pm
    ----
Welcome to the forums Howdy

Shoot them, or use them in your reloads. And yes make sure the area in front of the muzzle is clear if you do shoot them.

As for the oil, WD-40 or the like on the open end (inside the case) will work as well. Spraying the oil on the back side (where the firing pin hits) wont do much to the ammunition.

Dimitri

#6: Re: Removing live primers Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:27 pm
    ----
Gil Martin wrote:
Welcome to the Forum.

Live primers can safely be removed by carefully running the cases through the resizing die and depriming them. Hope this helps. All the best...
Gilre

That's exactly the way I've done it many many times. Wear eye protection and take your time and push them out slowly.

Welcome HAWGWYLD Smile

#7: Re: REMOVING LIVE PRIMERS FROM BRASS Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:26 pm
    ----
WD-40 will not kill primers. At least not all of them. Modern primers have a laquer like coating to seal the primer compound.

Just run them thourgh your resizing/decapping die...Wear hearing and eye protection...

#8: Re: REMOVING LIVE PRIMERS FROM BRASS Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:24 pm
    ----
I would just pop them blanks in my gun..

You still have to make them inert for safe disposal if you aren't to use them again. If you are to use them again, why bother removing them out?

#9: Re: REMOVING LIVE PRIMERS FROM BRASS Author: K.W.Location: Finland PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:51 pm
    ----
If you have "Mauser" with controlled feed, it is not always so easy poping them blanks.
With push feed gun it is easy, but stupid thing. Smile
And killing primers with oil, it is more stupid. Laughing

#10: Re: REMOVING LIVE PRIMERS FROM BRASS Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:10 pm
    ----
As stated just run 'em thru' your sizer die....no biggy.

Wear eye and ear PPE just to be safe.

#11: Re: REMOVING LIVE PRIMERS FROM BRASS Author: wncchester PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:10 am
    ----
"HOW DO I SAFELY REMOVE THE PRIMERS?"

They are just primers, not dynamite. Run them though a decapping die, or FL or neck die, and push them out.

It's HIGHLY unlikely you would set one off but even if you did it will be safely contained within the die. There's no real need for eye OR ear protection for this task but use it if it makes you feel better.

#12: Re: REMOVING LIVE PRIMERS FROM BRASS Author: fireball 3Location: northern calif PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:33 am
    ----
Confused Just run them thru a full size,neck size,or universal decapper. They won't explode,as long as you don't ram them.Just use a slow stroke of the ram...I've never had one go off yet. You should use at least ear protection though. The noise in a house or room can be loud.If they did go off,the flash would either go out the bottom of the dies or the vent hole...I always use a universal decapper.This way there is no pressure build up in the dies...Just my .035 cents worth. ...Dave in Nor-Cal.. Cool

#13: Re: REMOVING LIVE PRIMERS FROM BRASS Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:36 am
    ----
If the thing does go off that primer is going to pop out and be bouncing around, depending on your press. I think I'd be using both eye and ear protection.

#14: Re: REMOVING LIVE PRIMERS FROM BRASS Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:01 am
    ----
That is the longest "echo" I have ever heard... Very Happy

#15: Re: REMOVING LIVE PRIMERS FROM BRASS Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:14 am
    ----
Let me first say that yes I'm guilty of removing primers in a decapping die. But, I would never recomend this method to anyone, let alone say don't worry about the eye protection.

Has anyone ever had a tray of primers go off ????????????????? They will set each other off in a chain reaction!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had this happen too two friends. Both of them still have some shrapnel in them. The one was smart enough to have eye protection on. He would have lost a eye if he didn't.

If your press is like mine ( RCBS Rockchucker ) it drops the primers in a tray right in front of you. Now if theirs a bunch of primers sitting in it when one goes off.....................................................................

The question to this post was:
How do I safely remove the primers?

-> Reloading Ammunition