Full metal jacketed bullets and damaged rifling
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Full metal jacketed bullets and damaged rifling Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:37 am
    ----
Put this one down to "gun shop gossip". I was told recently to NEVER fire FMJ bullets in a civilian rifle (in this case a Rem 700 .223) because it would damage the rifling. For the life of me I can't figure out how this one got started. Anyone else ever heard it?

#2: Re: Full metal jacketed bullets and damaged rifling Author: d_hoffmanLocation: Chillicothe, Ohio PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:06 am
    ----
I don't see how a FMJ would damge your rifleing more than a jacketed bullet would. Any jacketed bullet can do damage if it's loaded up too hot.

#3: Re: Full metal jacketed bullets and damaged rifling Author: K.W.Location: Finland PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:23 am
    ----
Mayby those was speaking about "steel jacketed" like Tula- bullets. (or milytary surplus-)

Last edited by K.W. on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: Full metal jacketed bullets and damaged rifling Author: d_hoffmanLocation: Chillicothe, Ohio PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:51 am
    ----
Wolf ammo is steel cased. the bullet it's self is copper jacketed

#5: Re: Full metal jacketed bullets and damaged rifling Author: Jack PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:13 am
    ----
Firing an FMJ bullet of gilding metal/lead construction is not going to damage your rifling. The barrel doesn't care what the tip of the bullet is like- that part doesn't touch the barrel, anyway.
I got a feeling that what someone was putting rather ineptly, is this: in the 223/5.56mm, there are differences in military and civilian chambers. I know lots of people do it, but SAAMI recommends that you NOT shoot military ball ammo in commercial rifles designed for commercial 223 ammo- like bolt guns.
I suspect most of the civilian 'black rifles' are designed to handle military 5.56 ball as well as civilian 223.

#6: Re: Full metal jacketed bullets and damaged rifling Author: MGKellyLocation: G. R. Michigan PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:33 pm
    ----
Hi all,

Even though there are differences between the 5.56mm NATO and civilian .223 cartridges it has nothing to do with the make up and measured diameter of the projectile. Even if there is a difference of .003+/- in the diameter of several bullets it won't make a whit of difference to the barrel or the rifling. Take a look at the cartridges produced in varying NATO countries in regards to the 7.62x51mm NATO ammo. There are definate variances in bullet diameter from lot to lot and country to country, dont recall ever hearing about any major problems due to that. Don't forget about the specialty "solid" bullets made of bronze and the like, if there was a problem with damaged rifling you'd certainly hear about it big time!

Just my .02 worth! Sleep

MG Kelly

#7: Re: Full metal jacketed bullets and damaged rifling Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:15 pm
    ----
Welcome to the forums Kelly! Howdy

I've heard this FMJ damaging rifling before, but as its been mentioned its copper and lead ether way.

As for steel jackets, they use soft steel for the bullets, otherwise it wouldn't allow the rifling to "squeeze" the bullet to allow the bullet to seal the bore and pass through the rifling, effectively causing a obstruction in the bore right where the rifling starts and a over pressure situation which isn't good. So I'd assume its just as safe to shoot steel jacketed ammunition as well.

Dimitri

#8: Re: Full metal jacketed bullets and damaged rifling Author: K.W.Location: Finland PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:04 pm
    ----
No soft steel bullets for me, because i have not in my rifles hard chromium barrels

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions