Over-draw on a compond bow
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Primitive Weapons Hunting

#16: Re: Over-draw on a compond bow Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:43 pm
    ----
I have found that if a bow is quite & accurate, It will kill as many deer as a fast & accurate one will. Besides, the faster a bow is, the harder it is to make it quite. Just play the waiting game and put your shot were it needs to be when the critter is otherwise occupied. Very Happy (Looking away)

#17: Re: Over-draw on a compond bow Author: GigmasterLocation: Chatsworth, Ga. PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:15 pm
    ----
It's not my choronograph. I don't even know how to use one. It belongs to Benton Shooters Supply in Benton, Tn. The Archery Guy was nice enough to choronograph it for me at their indoor archery range. I am merely repeating what he told me. I don't think 2" groups are that great. Most of the people at the range can outshoot me, but they have way more expensive sights. I am using a 5X recticle scope. You just set the range and it's usually right on. Mine is at the lower end of the price scale. Some of these people have scopes that cost over $200.00 just for the lens! And I believe a lot of them are pros. I know two of them work for Mathews and one used to work for High Country. I think he said he shoots for Parker now. They all have better bows than me, as well.

TAMERIDER wrote:
Gigmaster wrote:
Right now, for small game, I am using my PSE OneCam, 65lbs. @ 27". I am using Gold Tip Hunter Expedition 5575s, with 125 gr. Judo Points, bringing the total arrow weight to 385 gr. Last time I choronographed it, I was getting 300 fps with this combination. I shoot 2" groups at 50 yards with this set-up. Bludgeon Points are aprox 20 fps slower. I don't miss often, but once in a while, a rabbit or squirrel will jump the arrow at 40+ yards. It happens maybe 5% of the time. I think if I could get 340 fps, that would eliminate the problem.

Of course, the easy option is just to take closer shots, but I am addicted to long-range archery. I love target-shooting at 100+ yards.

I don't have any problems with Big-Game. I shoot a PSE Mach 6, 85 lbs. @ 27" with Gold Tip HUnter Expedition shafts and 125 grain Muzzy Broadheads. I get 330 fps with tack-driving accuracy with this combo, and no deer or antelope has ever jumped my arrow, even at 70+ yards.

Im amazed! I think you need a new Chrony and If your shootong 2" groups at 50 yards you should be on the pro tour.

#18: Re: Over-draw on a compond bow Author: GigmasterLocation: Chatsworth, Ga. PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:22 pm
    ----
I am not sure about my arrow weight. That was just an educated guess. I've never actually weighted them. My friend at the archery range says my arrows are probably closer to 300 gns.

glockman55 wrote:
TAMERIDER wrote:
Gigmaster wrote:
Right now, for small game, I am using my PSE OneCam, 65lbs. @ 27". I am using Gold Tip Hunter Expedition 5575s, with 125 gr. Judo Points, bringing the total arrow weight to 385 gr. Last time I choronographed it, I was getting 300 fps with this combination. I shoot 2" groups at 50 yards with this set-up. Bludgeon Points are aprox 20 fps slower. I don't miss often, but once in a while, a rabbit or squirrel will jump the arrow at 40+ yards. It happens maybe 5% of the time. I think if I could get 340 fps, that would eliminate the problem.

Of course, the easy option is just to take closer shots, but I am addicted to long-range archery. I love target-shooting at 100+ yards.

I don't have any problems with Big-Game. I shoot a PSE Mach 6, 85 lbs. @ 27" with Gold Tip HUnter Expedition shafts and 125 grain Muzzy Broadheads. I get 330 fps with tack-driving accuracy with this combo, and no deer or antelope has ever jumped my arrow, even at 70+ yards.

Im amazed! I think you need a new Chrony and If your shootong 2" groups at 50 yards you should be on the pro tour.

Maybe I should check my Chronograph out, I only get 294 fps out of my Mathews Legacy at #70, 28" arrow weighing in at 350 gn. Shocked

-> Primitive Weapons Hunting